What is up with Paula Dean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
Do you all know who she is? She's the older southern lady on Food Network who is always cooking for her family.

Anyway, she made the old familiar hangover cure, tomato juice, lime, salt and beer. Except she used Guiness extra stout!:eek: It was funny, she was saying just use any beer and then she broke out the Guiness.

So either she knows nothing about beer and had heard that recipe and just threw a random beer in, or she's a drinker and actually likes the guiness in there. I'm pretty sure she's a drinker, she sent her boys to get the beer and they came back with at least 2 cases of liquor store beer.

I have to say that as horrible as it sounds, I'm kind of intrigued.

She does act like the type of lady that's had a suds or two in her life, doesn't she? ;) I'll say this about her tho...her recipes are all killer, and all fairly easy to do. :cool:

I've actually had this exact concoction but with a Corona. A bartender buddy of mine made it but you also got to add tabasco to get it hot. Can't remember what he called it but it was really quite good. Any sort of lighter tasting beer with a lot of carbonation would be my recommendation. Toss any macro beer in there to make it better ;). Guiness? Yuck, I couldn't see that. As for being a hangover cure; bloody mary, bloody beer. It's all hair of the dog...

El Pistolero said:
her recipes are all killer

Literally! She starts everything with a couple sticks of butter and fries it all. The stuff tastes great, but I can actually HEAR my arteries hardening while I'm eating. creeeeeeeeeeeek..... errrrrrrrk......

-walker

Yeah, she got on my nerves when I first saw her, but she's my second favorite on Food Network these days. Right behind Alton Brown.

You have to have spent some time in Savannah to truly appreciate her. A truly unique town.

billybrew said:
Yeah, she got on my nerves when I first saw her, but she's my second favorite on Food Network these days. Right behind Alton Brown.

Bobby Flay's cool! so's Tyler Florence. both do killer recipes! Alton's the mack-daddy though :D

Giada is the hottest one of all though!!!!:cross:

DeRoux's Broux said:
Bobby Flay's cool! so's Tyler Florence. both do killer recipes! Alton's the mack-daddy though :D

Giada is the hottest one of all though!!!!:cross:
That's for sure...Rachel Ray couldn't hold her santoku knife with both hands. I like Bobby's cooking but find his cockiness irritating. Alton is, indeed, the man. I'm a big fan of Rick Bayless, too, even though he's not on foodtv.

BeeGee said:
That's for sure...Rachel Ray couldn't hold her santoku knife with both hands.

no, but she probably could hold it with her ass! you see the butt-shelf on that girl! DA-YAM!:D

DeRoux's Broux said:
no, but she probably could hold it with her ass! you see the butt-shelf on that girl! DA-YAM!:D
:p LOL But I do like her meals (taught my wife to cook...could barely boil water). The producers of her show give her so much stuff to carry at one time, I keep waiting for her to use that butt-shelf for moving some ingredients around or serving! Cute face, though...

That's what my boss calls a compliment sandwich when doing evaluations...

I, personally, think Giada's eyes are too damn close together. It just doesn't look right.

Kind of reminds me of this girl I used to know who had the exact OPPOSITE problem. Her body and profile were great, but then she would look you straight on and it was impossible to not notice that her eyes were about 3 inches apart.

-walker

Rachel is hot, but she's kind of started to get on my nerves. Has she ever tasted food that wasn't Just Great!??? I feel like with her new talk show, she'll reach market saturation real soon.

then you've gotta love Iron chef also.

BeeGee said:
Cute face, though...

For a moment I thought you guys were still talking about Paula Dean :drunk:

Yeah, my wife loves Rachel's shows and we always make fun of her butt :).

Now she, my wife, even subscribed to "Everyday With Rachel Ray". I hope this was a gift subscription, cause I don't think it is worth the money.

Kai

I bought my wife one of RR's books because all she knew how to do when we got married was cook rice and heat smoked pork chops, and I was getting tired of doing all the cooking. Now she's a great cook and does any recipe she wants, but RR got her kickstarted. Have to hand that to her.

billybrew said:

i saw a doumentory on her and she said she was agoraphobic for like 20 years...

alton brown did a show on making beer which was interesting...

BeeGee said:
I like the Japanese Iron Chef, but the American one sucks.

How can any show with Alton Brown suck?!

I'll agree that the Japanese version is better (in an weird entertaining sort of way... kind of like Godzilla movies), but I don't think I'd go as far as saying that the American version 'sucks'.

I feel the food prepared on the American version is more appealing... but that's a cultural thing, obviously. The food on the Japanese version often has stuff presented that I would NEVER consider eating. I mean, how much squid ink and engorged water fowl entrails can I be expected to find appetizing?

-walker

Yeah, Alton is the only saving grace for me...but he has his own show which is nothing but Alton and is much better than AIC. I don't really like the American Iron Chefs and the "chairman" is just as annoying. JIC is good not because the stuff is appetizing, just because Japan is so damn strange to me. I live for the panel's descriptions at the end..."This sturgeon eye fritter is like the breeze of a summer morning in the mountains with the scent of pines and the sun shining on my back..."

i hate bbq anyway...i agree that the japanese version is way better, i dont even care what there making the show is so weird you have to watch.

my favorite show was 'mario eats italy' where he goes around italy stuffing his fat face...thats the whole show, just him and his brother on a vespa eating crap...

I like the cop-out answer from what ever Japanese bimbo actress is on the panel in every show:

"I like this. The flavors and textures really go well together."

I actually saw one episoide where the 'other' Iron Chef Japanese (NOT Morimoto-san, but some other dude) actually got pissed at the actress on the panel.

She did not like one of his dishes and suggested something he might have done better/differently, and his remarks were something like:

"I've never heard such nonsense. You're absolutely rediculous. Unbelievable."

-walker

BeeGee said:
Yeah, Alton is the only saving grace for me...

Good Eats was actually one of the reasons why I wanted to have a TIVO, so I can keep most oh his shows. But his recipes and advises have to be taken with a grain of salt (actually most of the time he uses to much salt for my taste). Oftentimes he overcomplicates or oversimplifies things.

Best show on FTV though.

I can't stand Bobby Flay. He reminds me of a guy that was the nerd in high school and now thinks he is cool just because he owns a couple of restaurants.

Kai

Yeah, it's good to see Alton on ICA, I like it OK, but ICJ is better because of the Gojira thing like you were saying.

Alton's beer episode was pretty good, even though he glossed over several things. That's cool though, the guy has taught me more about cooking than any other thing.

I feel that Alton's show is more of a "food science" show than a "cooking" show. In other words, I watch it to get a better understanding of how and why you do something a certain way, as opposed to watching it to gather recipes. The recipe almost seems to be a footnote in the show, and the real info is in how to brine, cure, butcher, roast, etc, etc.

I watched one recently where he bought an entire beef tenderloin and explained how to butcher it. By the end, I was drooling over the 3 inch thich fliets he was slicing off of that bad-boy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm............

-walker

Walker said:
I feel that Alton's show is more of a "food science" show than a "cooking" show.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm............

-walker

yeah hes definitley more gadget oriented than cook-by-the-seat-of-your-pants...

has any ever seen 'two fat ladies'? it was an english show in which 2 hugely obese british women would cook things like an entire pig? they used lard, and real butter like it was going out of style...

Walker said:
Literally! She starts everything with a couple sticks of butter and fries it all. The stuff tastes great, but I can actually HEAR my arteries hardening while I'm eating. creeeeeeeeeeeek..... errrrrrrrk......
Back to Paula Dean and her deadly recipes...one bite of this stuff will raise your cholesterol 10 points. :eek:

Chocolate Cheese Fudge

1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, sliced
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts, pecans, walnuts
2 (16-ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Spray lightly the bottom of a 9 by 2-inch square pan with a nonstick spray. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the cheese and butter together, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and nuts.
In a large bowl sift together the sugar and cocoa. Pour the cheese mixture into the sugar and cocoa mixture and stir until completely mixed. The candy will be very stiff.
Using your hands, remove candy from bowl and press evenly and firmly into pan. Because of the amount of butter in this recipe, pat the top of the candy with a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Place pan in refrigerator until candy is firm.
To serve candy, cut into squares.

Walker said:
I, personally, think Giada's eyes are too damn close together. ...
It's not her eyes that I'm looking at!;) My buddy and I call her softball t**s! She is related to film producer (of some really terrible films), Dino Delaurentis. Speaking of that area of the female anatomy, anyone ever check out Sandra Lee's of FoodTV? Hubba...

DeRoux's Broux said:
ya know that maxim (or was it FHM?) did a cover and inside spread on Ms. Ray!!!she looked good......

Ya mean this one?

rachel4.jpg

I like Paula. I've done a couple of her recipes and they turned out well. Personally, I love Alton Brown (not in a Brokeback Mountain kind of way). His recipe for brined turkey is now my recipe for Thanksgiving turkey on the smoker. After I did it once, it is requested every year. It's that good. And juicy... mmmm! But ICA bores me. Same with Mario... sorry.

The Two Fat ladies were mentioned earlier. I would literally, physically get queasy looking at those ugly women. I'd have to change the channel. Another 'can't change the channel fast enough' show on FoodTV is "Barefat Contessa"! Yikes!

You guys are lucky. In the UK we had these two to look at in the world of TV cooking! - The 'Two Fat Ladies' (their name not mine!) as cgravier suggested!
fatladies2.jpg

Unfortunately Jennifer (on the right) died a few years back - The show was good though but not easy on the eye!;)

Rhoobarb said:
It's not her eyes that I'm looking at!;) My buddy and I call her softball t**s! She is related to film producer (of some really terrible films), Dino Delaurentis. Speaking of that area of the female anatomy, anyone ever check out Sandra Lee's of FoodTV? Hubba...

Ya mean this one?

rachel4.jpg

bada-bing! that's the one Rhoobarb! thanks.

giada always has that low cut, v-neck thing goin'. when she starts stirrin' or whippin'........:D

sandra got it goin' on too :cross:

DeRoux's Broux said:
...giada always has that low cut, v-neck thing goin'. when she starts stirrin' or whippin'... sandra got it goin' on too
Guess that's why they call it the boob tube!:cross:

This thread is hilarious. Bunch of dudes drooling over women from cooking shows.

That said, it is THE most popular channel in MY house, BY FAR.

My favorite shows are Hot off the Grill (Flay's ego can go out the window though), Everday Italian (Giada is awesome, but her head is HUGE), I used to like Emeril but his schtick is SO old. And the best is of course Good Eats.

One show I like that is only on occasionally now is "A Cook's Tour" with Tony Bourdain. He rocks.

Rachel Ray--you can have her. We had a thread about her a while back--do a search and you can find my comments. :p Blecchh.

Giada is perfect. We will no longer discuss the size of her head. Her chest on the other hand. :drunk:

Back