Temperature dropping too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcapozzi

Reaction score
My first batch (pale ale), and I'm concerned about the temperature of my fermentation. I'm using a bucket fermenter with a stick-on thermometer. It started at 68° last night, but was 62° by this morning. I wrapped it in a blanket to try and keep that temperature, but this afternoon it was down to 58°. The fermenter is in my spare bathroom (I live in an apt, so this is the only place to keep it), so I turned on the heating fan to raise the room temp. My next move is probably to get some water in the tub and use an aquarium heater, but my question is this -- if I don't see fermentation beginning soon, can I pitch more yeast, or is this batch a done deal?

It would still ferment at 58...albeit a bit slower with a bit more lag time. Give it a few days then take a hydrometer sample... if no change, only then should you worry about pitching more yeast.

You won't kill yeast w low temp it will slow toward dormancy. You could build a foam insulation box for about $6 from HD and put a light bulb inside to provide heat. Once you get temps back up your yeast will liven up. Get it done soon though because competing bacteria will keep multiplying.

If you think yeast was bad in the first place I'd pitch a satchel of good dry yeast. Rehydrate it at room temp with a cup of previously boiled water for 20 min first.

Most of all be patient, fermentation takes time.

The core temp of the wort itself will be a few degrees hotter than the temp being shown on the outside of the fermenter. I say thumbs up for 60F. Don't mess with it, she's all good.

Back