Conversation at my mother's house...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
So the wife and I spent the weekend up in Chicago with my mom, sister, brother, and his wife. Around 9:00 mom cracks open a bottle of Southern Tier Backburner Barley Wine and we sort of share it. It's a decent, balanced beer, with a thick, sweet, roasty malt base and a nice hop aroma to complement it. Not too bitter, but not nonexistent either. After I've had some of it, she goes, "how do you like the barley wine?"

I say, "It's good. Nice and malty."

"MALTY?!" She practically screams. "It's not malty, it's hoppy!"

"Well there's definitely a hop character to it but it's definitely maltier in overall flavor. It's a barley wine, it's supposed to be malty."

"No, Derek. It's hoppy. I don't like malty beer."

And like that, the conversation was over. I wonder if there's any hope.

At least she married your brother and not you, right?

Or were the quotes from SWMBO? :eek:

Backburner is a little more hoppy than most barley wines, though.

My mother, actually. And yeah the hops were definitely not absent, but the initial palate is definitely a malty profile.

Some people just don't have a very developed palate. Either that or some people seem to get some flavours/characteristics mixed up or confused.
A friend of mine was drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and was convinced there was lemon or something in there because of the hops being so citrusy.

Yeah geez....YOUR MOM cracked open a Barley Wine...and even knows what the terms malty and hoppy are, and yer bitchin fer chrissakes?

Don't forget taste is subjective...it is like trying to describe red to a blind person, or jazz to a deaf one...It's hard because things that are sense driven, including our tastes, are really subjective....Personal.

Your mom's palate MAY indeed be more attuned and/or sensitive to hops and therefore she detects the presence of it more than you (I'd be curious if she likes or hates IPA's) where the same beer seems more malty to you.

And guess what? You're both right....

This is waaay far away from the "stupid" comments about your beer thread...at least she's not saying she doesn't like dark beers becasue they are all too heavy of something....she likes something less than mainstream, and sort of knows why.

She like Barley wines??? Is she single? How old is she? Is she Hawt?????:D

This rant was over as soon as you said your mom likes barleywine. That has to be one of the coolest mom's I know.

Your mother likes sharing Barley Wine and you're wondering this?

Yeah geez....YOUR MOM cracked open a Barley Wine...and even knows what the terms malty and hoppy are, and yer bitchin fer chrissakes?

This rant was over as soon as you said your mom likes barleywine.

:drunk: Well, OK. Yeah, she loves IPA, almost to exclusion. I'm fairly certain the homebrew porters I brought her will still be there when I visit her again. It seems that, to her, she can't like a beer that isn't a hop bomb, and when I suggest she actually does, gets defensive of the beer... :shrug:

Revvy, Mom is 55, divorced, and in a relationship that she doesn't know how long will last. I will say nothing on the hawtness front but she's the one in fuchsia in my wedding pictures (yourrealyou's photos- powered by SmugMug)
Man, talk about opening the proverbial can of worms. Congrats to you. Another case of a homebrewer clearly marrying up.:D

All in favor of smacking bernerbits for whining about a mom who even knows what barley wine is, say I.

Go to my mom's house.
"Do you have beer?"
"In the fridge."
*bud light left by her 'friend'*
"I'm going to the ABC store."
"Oh, sorry, you're a beer snob."
"Damn skippy."

It goes like this at my moms house.

Ten minutes into the visit, SHE OFFERS me a beer.
I accept.
I get up to get another, after nursing the first one to death,
and she says-You shouldn't drink too much!

Congrats on the wedding!

Man, talk about opening the proverbial can of worms. Congrats to you. Another case of a homebrewer clearly marrying up.:D

All in favor of smacking bernerbits for whining about a mom who even knows what barley wine is, say I.

Go to my mom's house.
"Do you have beer?"
"In the fridge."
*bud light left by her 'friend'*
"I'm going to the ABC store."
"Oh, sorry, you're a beer snob."
"Damn skippy."

I'm just a fan of your Robert Cray avatar pic....that's all.

Revvy, Mom is 55, divorced, and in a relationship that she doesn't know how long will last. I will say nothing on the hawtness front but she's the one in fuchsia in my wedding pictures (yourrealyou's photos- powered by SmugMug, yourrealyou : photos : 2_Ceremony- powered by SmugMug).

CAREFUL! Imagine having Revvy as a step-dad.... Constantly critiquing your brews.... telling you to relax.... threatening to remove you from mom's will if you dump that brew. Man, the stress would be almost unbearable.

Robert Cray?!?! Dang, I thought that was shecky "incognito"! Well, I'll be!
You thought I was a guitar playing black man? Not saying I'm not but, well ....

Let's get back to those in favor of smacking bernerbits. I'd be more inclined to visit my mom if she even knew what a pale ale is.

Let's get back to those in favor of smacking bernerbits. I'd be more inclined to visit my mom if she even knew what a pale ale is.

I'm not entirely sure she knows what a pale ale is. As I said, she's a hophead, more or less exclusively so.

All in favor of dragging this thread right back off topic and talking about my marriage/Revvy dating my mom, now...

I'm not entirely sure she knows what a pale ale is. As I said, she's a hophead, more or less exclusively so.

All in favor of dragging this thread right back off topic and talking about my marriage/Revvy dating my mom, now...

You are not going to get out of a pounding that easily. I think that guitar-playing black man wants to give you whack or two before all is said and done. This is from shecky -
twak.gif

I have to say I'm lucky...My mom's 85...and though she's not knowlegable about styles and such she likes good beer, and wine but mostly beer, and the darker the better.

She loves going to my nephew's brew/wine making clubs October fest and wine tasting..and loves our family holidays when my nephew and I both bring a ton of stuff for the family to sample...

ANd she's quite amusing when she's tipsy at those things, at one of the tastings, she kept punching my forearm every time she wanted to get my attention..I actually had a bruise...

I think your man card is about to be revoked. First you ***** about your mom that knows and actually drinks a barleywine and then you descibe something as fuchsia

edit-see I dont even know how to spell that color let alone what the hell it is.

Ive been revoking a denying man cards for years! Buuuuuuuut I will make sure to run any further revokations past revvy..... anyone mind telling me why though?

I am so appealing this. Also, if any of you asses are ever in Nashville, you are so not invited to hang out and drink at my place.

Back