Pilsner DME for ELDME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
I am making a partial mash version of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde and was going to use 3lbs. DME. I already have 3lbs of Briess Pilsen DME and was wondering if that will work or should I drop the 15 bucks on some Munton's Extra Light? Looking forward to brewing this up. Lots of BMC drinking friends I don't see often and I have a large crawfish boil coming up in april and want a couple kegs of this stuff on hand to woo 'em. (They all think I'm crazy for brewing my own beer) Hope to get it nailed down by then.

For DME I use exclusively Briess (shop local, baby!). I looked at the Lovibond/EBC numbers and as far as I can tell, M&F XL is the same as Briess pilsner. There may be subtle differences in the barley strains, malting practices, etc...but it *is* extract brewing, after all.

It doesn't hurt that the Briess 50#'ers are $60 cheaper from my preferred online shop (NB).

Back