Food Processor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
So SWMBO has been dropping hints that she'd like a food processor for Christmas. I know little to nothing about food processors but wouldn't mind having one around. So I come to the great folks of HBT...any recommendations? What should I look for? Stay away from? etc?

My SWMBO is sitting with me right now and says don't buy appliances for christmas, try diamonds.:D Seriously though she says Cuisinart.

Bed Bath & Beyond - Kitchen Electrics Food Processors

1510412360010P.JPG

Does she bake a lot or mostly cook? The Kitchen-Aid is a great item in the kitchen. I see it a lot on the cooking channel in those competitions.

My parents gave us a gift card for a new food processor two Christmases ago. We bought the red Kitchen Aide. We have loved it and SWMBO always points it out when she sees it on the Food Network.

227.jpg

I have used Kitchenaid and Cuisinart.
Hell, I have La Machine in storage that still works.

I love my Kitchenaid.. but there is sentimental value attached.

Get what makes you feel happy.. then use it till it burns out!

Just bought the kitchenaid yesterday and we love it, really quiet and has a case for all the accessories.

Kitchenaid is the only one to even consider. Cuisinart used to be better but not anymore. I have the 14 cup kitchenaid and I love it. I use it atleast 3 or 4 times a week.

we have one almost exactly like that Cuisinart x-cept ours is white.
its runs very quiet and does an excellent job!
+1
227.jpg

I have this exact one in the 14 cup variety. I have had it for about two years and use it all the time.

The Good:

• The motor is extremely powerful and easily kneads bread dough

It is damn near silent when running with nothing in it.

It has a big bowl, a sharp blade, and a bulletproof motor.

The Bad:

• The saftey mechanism on this thing sucks nuts. The chute for loading things in is big but when you remove it the motor turn off. Then there is a smaller one that can be removed while the motor is running but it is too small to fit anything other than liquids in. It is also closed off which makes it really hard to clean without a dishwasher.

It doesn't come with a plate small enough to finely grate stuff. You either get course grating or slicing, sort of irritating.

In short, I love this thing and it gets the job done. However, if/when it breaks, I will get a Kitchenaid. The Kitchenaid has recently been beating out the Cuisenart out in all the comparisons because of less restrictive saftey features and the mini-prep work bowl that sit inside for smaller jobs.

We've had both 14 cup models and an older 2 cup Cuisinart for making sauces and marinades.

I'd go KitchenAid if I were replacing our current 14 cup. Very nice machine.

Cuisinart here...5+ years. Still going strong. I use it on heavy bread dough and the thing performs perfectly. I will also 2nd the safety mechanism...its a little bit of a pain, but i guess it would be nearly impossible to cut your self on a moving part.

+1 on the Cuisinart. Our is 20yrs old (Custom II). I picked up a spare about 10 yrs ago for a ridiculous price. My favorite accessory is a workbowl that is really a chute attachment. Say you want to shred massive amounts of carrots, cabbage, or cheese (like for our upcoming holiday fondue party) you just set a bowl under the chute and have it it. I don't have to stop to empty the work bowl.

+1 on the kitchen aid - It's the cadillac of FP's.

Definitely want to get the biggest bowl you can for large jobs but what I like about the kitchen aid one is that there is a smaller bowl with smaller blade that fits into the larger one - this is great for small jobs - less to clean

Thanks all for the input. I went with a Kitchenaid rated best on Consumer Reports, and with some connections was able to get a little discount.

Back