"Ethics" of sending bad brew to competion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
I've been struggling to identify a very specific off flavor that is my plaguing brews and starting to really hammer my enthusiasm.

My troubleshooting process as gone from looking at contamination, chlorine in my water, not properly rinsing PBW from carboy, pitching too little yeast, and fermenting at too high a temp.

Having addressed all of these issues, my latest thought is oxidation. Before I dive into an all out war on oxygen, I'd like to get some reliable feedback that the flavor I'm experiencing is indeed oxidation. Unfortunately, I'm the only craft beer drinker in my circle, and the only (wannabe) homebrewer I know.

My primary question is - is it unethical, or even just bad form to send a brew to competition that you know tastes awful? Having no interest in winning only looking for feedback. Are there BJCP type evaluations that are not tied to competition? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

I would find a local brewery and ask one of the brewers to taste it for you and help identify the off flavor. BTW, oxidation causes a wet cardboard taste. Other ideas, local LHBS or search for the nearest homebrew club. I wouldn't waste my time and money entering a contest. Just look around and you should be able to find someone close by. Good luck.

Will a LHBS allow tasting? Our local shop will gladly sample and quickly critique a brew. I see Homebrew Heaven isn't far from your location. I can't comment on the ethics of sending to a competition, having never submitted to one. Is the beer drinkable, or awful? Kyle

Ive done this with my LHBS with a beer I thought had an off flavor....they were great help.

Will a LHBS allow tasting? Our local shop will gladly sample and quickly critique a brew. I see Homebrew Heaven isn't far from your location. I can't comment on the ethics of sending to a competition, having never submitted to one. Is the beer drinkable, or awful? Kyle

My wife says its awful...my mother says its the best beer she's ever had :)

No problem sending in a flawed beer to competitions - happens all the time. You will get at least two opinions about your beer back.

Aside from your local brewers and LHBS, you might also ask some folks here whose opinions you respect if they would taste your beer for you, if you sent it to them.

It happens all the time, thanks for asking. Judges are trained to give constructive criticism. We don’t want to discourage anyone. If we can help you make better beer, that’s better for everyone.

If you can get feedback closer to home, that’s great. Consider the source, though. Everybody likes free beer, it takes a friend to give you an honest critique.

We’re all in this together. You know, homebrewers.

Slainte

I would look for the local options first - LHBS, Brewpub, Brew club. Or, maybe put out a call right here on the forum for an experienced judge - send them your beer you have problems with, and a couple other local microbrews to compensate them for their efforts - would still be cheaper than sending to a comp. And, you would likely get way better feedback if you sent it to a judge with the express knowledge that you realize there is something wrong with it, and you would like some help.

The problem with trying to get feedback in a competition on a bad beer is that the judges have no idea what your process and practices are. Suggestions to fix your problem will be very general at best, if the judges give any at all. You may pay your money and get nothing out of it.

As suggested above, you are better off getting a face to face opinion and discuss exactly what you are doing.

I fully support sending in a bad beer to get the judges to figure out what the off flavor is. They are completely impartial and don't have to look you in the eye and tell you your beer sucks. Taking it to the LHBS or to other people in general is good, but there is nothing like getting someone who is used to picking out and describing off flavors to figure it out.

If anything, sending it to a judge will verify what someone else might tell you. It's up to you to take the off flavor and figure out how it ended up in the beer. There is plenty of literature on the subject for you to do that.

Lastly, if someone says they taste something in your beer, believe it. Everyone has different levels of detectors for different flavors. Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it's not there.

Cheers.

Back