Starter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

integratorjon

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and just made my first starter. I transported it to my dads where we brew and it has now stopped bubbling. Is this just because of movement? Will it restart? Any harm done if it does?

We're you able to keep the temperature stable while you transported it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Did you airlock it?
Did you keep the temp stable?
How long has it been fermenting?
How big is it?
What kind of yeast is it?
Stir plate?

I mean, really, the possibilities are endless. Give us more details.

Yes, it's air locked. I started it a last night and it was bubbling at a rate of one per 5 seconds

Ride was less than 10 minutes so temp shouldn't have changed much. It's a lagar yeast.

Great, grand, wonderful, what about the other questions?

edit: just saw your reply. I'm sure you're fine. Movement probably "shook off" the carbonation that was in suspension. Give it time to sit properly, and I bet it will start bubbling. Are you keeping it at lager temps?

No, keeping it at about 70 since it's just starter. Does starter need to be cooler than that? I've got the spare fridge sitting at 52 waiting for when I brew tomorrow

For my Czech pilsner I just did a 24 hour shake starter at room temperature, I pitched the whole thing, and it worked great.
If you really want to do it the RIGHT way, I know that you should cold crash your starter days in advance, then pour off the water and use the yeast cake in the bottom.
But remember, this is brewing. You can do it any way you want and your freeloading friends will still say "Wow! You brewed this?!"

If anything the ride would oxygenated the starter, if you don't have an air lock on. Kind of new as well so I could be wrong, but bubbling is really just the first stages of fermentation. you could have pushed out the Co2 sitting on top causing the pressure to equal out. Sure it will be fine, backup yeast is always a plus too.

You're fine. I'm guessing that you made the starter a day or two ago, it's gone through initial fermentation and has since slowed down. The car ride agitated the CO2 out of suspension and it will take a while for enough pressure to cause the airlock to burp.

+1 on providing the information required for people to answer your question, such as:

1) size of starter
2) when you began it
3) temps you kept it at
4) type of yeast
5) When you plan to pitch it

etc.

Also, the temp of the starter should be within 5 degrees of the wort you're pitching it into in order to avoid shocking the yeast. So if you plan to pitch it into wort that is 50 degrees, then get the starter down to 50. If you plan on pitching it into 70 degree wort, then keep your starter there too.

Can I pitch the yeast at 70 then cool it down the whole batch to 50-60? Also, the fridge I'm storing it in will only get as high as 48. Will it still ferment?

Sure can. I would just wrap a dry towel around it so the whole thing cools down slower as to not shock the yeast. But maybe keep it at 48 for 24 hours and then drop it again after the 24 hours slowly.

Latest posts

Back