Electric Heating Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblanks1969

Reaction score
I'm using a 5500wt extra low density element and the very end of the element, which is bent back over itself, is too long and still inside the fitting being used. The problem is that the element is touching the side of the SS fitting, which will most likely cause too much heat transfer into the metal. Can I use copper wire to tie or clamp the loose end of the element to itself, allowing space between the fitting and element; preventing direct contact? Would this pose any safety or functional issues as the element will be in contact with itself? Thank you, Ron

What fitting are you using? Where are you installing the element (kettle, cooler)?

I would not do as you suggested. There is another solution.

Why worry about the heat transfer to the coupler? If it indeed transfers heat to the metal then the liquid touching that metal should heat as well.

Maybe I am not following what you are explaining.

The element is attached to the metal bulkhead you thread into the coupler. No over heating issue there right? same goes with the pot or anything else for that matter. As long as the element is submerged than you are all good.

Can I use copper wire to tie or clamp the loose end of the element to itself, allowing space between the fitting and element; preventing direct contact? Would this pose any safety or functional issues as the element will be in contact with itself? Thank you, Ron

Not a problem, the outside of the element is not energized, it can touch itself, the pot, or a fitting, or ground. Securing it w/ a copper wire tie shouldn't pose a problem IMO.

Disclaimer...I am a jack of all trades...master of none and consider electric to be one of my weaker skills. Hopefully an expert will concur...

Back