75% of IBU from 60 minute addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
can't remember where, but somewhere I read that your 60 minute addition should contain 75% of your IBUs and I can't remember how the other 25% was distributed. might have been for an IPA, but can't even say if it was for any certain style

tried searching, but can't find it

anyone have any idea what the breakdown was?

Bittering is accomplished with a long boil to bring out most all of the hop oils. Flavoring and aroma is usually from 15 minutes to flame out. There is no certain formula. It all depends upon the profile you wish to achieve.

As Flars said, there's no specific formula, but a rule of thumb is that after 30 minutes, so much of the aroma is lost that you might as well just consider it bittering. This is of course only a rule of thumb and there are a lot of variables including the variety of hops and even their freshness. But it's why, for example, 45 minute additions are uncommon. The most common schedules are something like 60, 20, 10, 5 and flameout or variations on that, such as 60 & 5. The later the hops are added, the less the alpha acids are isomerized and the more of the aromatic oils are preserved.

I've been making some good beers by hopbursting. That's where all of your hops are added at 30 minutes or less. Of course it takes more hops to get the same IBUs, but that's the point. E.g., if I had a beer that used 1 oz of 8% hops at 60 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes, I get 36 IBUs; if I move the "bittering" addition to 15 minutes, I'd use 2 oz for the same 36 IBUs. But since those hops aren't being boiled for as long, much more of the flavor and aroma is preserved. It's kind of blurring the idea of "bittering" vs "aroma" hops.

can't remember where, but somewhere I read that your 60 minute addition should contain 75% of your IBUs and I can't remember how the other 25% was distributed. might have been for an IPA, but can't even say if it was for any certain style

tried searching, but can't find it

anyone have any idea what the breakdown was?

I think you read that wrong...IPAs are usually hoppy. I would say inverse that idea, 25% of your IBUs should come from your 60 minute. Some super hoppy commercial beers go way beyond that, only 5-10%. Me personally, I don't even do 60 minute additions on my IPAs. Everything is late hop additions (20 minutes of less).

But this will depend on your palette. With just late hopping, I am sacrificing the sharper bitterness many people enjoy in commercial IPAs with a more round and smooth bitterness. It tends to feel like far less IBUs than it is. Some like it, some don't. But what I do gain is a massive upfront hop flavor and aroma. Seriously on the commercial level. I can smell my beers as soon as I crack them. Try to find a balance, brew it, and work from there. But I would say 25% from your 60 is a great starting place. I do 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout additions if you were wondering. Usually equal amounts.

Back