Bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
I would really like to know if I need to stop the fermentation with campden tablets before bottling in glass, non-pressure bottles.

Bottle bombs are not entertaining.

I would really like to know if I need to stop the fermentation with campden tablets before bottling in glass, non-pressure bottles.

Bottle bombs are not entertaining.

Really we would need to know what you are looking for in your cider, if you want a sweet still cider you will need to ferment dry, then stabilize and then back sweeten to desired sweetness you will need campden and potassium sorbate I think it's called to truly stabilize. If you want still dry cider just ferment dry and no stabilization required. If you are looking for a sweet carbonated then you are looking at bottle pasteurization, but from the looks of things you are using non pressure bottles so carbonation is out of the question, I hope this helps. :)

Like agent said, campden alone will not stop fermentation for a sweet still cider you either need to add Sulfites (campden) and sorbates. Other options include batch pasteurizing the entire batch before bottling or immediately following bottling before the yeast get a chance to carbonate.

Really we would need to know what you are looking for in your cider, if you want a sweet still cider you will need to ferment dry, then stabilize and then back sweeten to desired sweetness you will need campden and potassium sorbate I think it's called to truly stabilize. If you want still dry cider just ferment dry and no stabilization required. If you are looking for a sweet carbonated then you are looking at bottle pasteurization, but from the looks of things you are using non pressure bottles so carbonation is out of the question, I hope this helps. :)

Just a still, dry cider. The fermentation seems to have ceased. SG readings on two consecutive days is the same. Is that far enough along that the yeast has run its course?

Thank you for all the replies.

I'd wait a bit more to be sure all fermentation was done, then you can just bottle and it should be fine.

Back