It's Hard to Keep A Belgian Bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you wait before cracking open your Belgians?

• 6 days or less

• 7 to 13 days

• 2 to 3 weeks

• 1 month

• 2 months

• 3 months

• 4 months

• 5 to 6 months

• 7 to 10 months

• A year +

Results are only viewable after voting.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
We all know that Belgian beers should age and condition in their bottles before drinking; we're talking anywhere from 2-12 months. Somehow I always manage to crack into them after about a week after bottling. This is mainly to test them... Are they carbed? How do they taste cold and carbed? But I almost always can't resist the temptation to just drink them!

I have begun a program for myself though. I keep a few bottles of great beers, and set them aside for what I'm calling, The Brewer's Reserve. Here the beers will sit, untouchable, until one month passes. At that time, I will try one of the bottles. At two months... another. At three months... yet another.

Hopefully this process will help me consider leaving the beers to age longer... IF they taste better than when I first cracked them open ;)

So... How many of you are able to let your Belgians be?

The Poll is Multiple Choice. If you choose different answers based on different styles of beers, please explain why in the thread! Thanks! To Belgians!

5gB

5gBrewer said:
I have begun a program for myself though. I keep a few bottles of great beers, and set them aside for what I'm calling, The Brewer's Reserve. Here the beers will sit, untouchable, until one month passes. At that time, I will try one of the bottles. At two months... another. At three months... yet another.

I've been doing this too, but damn it's hard to wait sometimes. :D

This is the way I manage it now.

1.) I try to brew three months ahead of my desired drinking date.

2.) I keep brewing, brewing often enough that I don't have to sneak one before they are ready. So I always have something.

3.) I buy decent micros while I'm trying to establish my inventory. No more than I sixer of any style, so I can change up as needed

I just bottled my Boston Lager for St Patty Day. It will sit and lager in my fridge until then.

One other thought....

I usually try to have a mix of malty, hoppy and balanced beers. Therefore I always have something to suit the mood.

:mug:

Back