Centennial Blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Just finished brewing BierMunchers Centennial Blonde I converted to an extract/mini mash brew. When I ordered the materials for this beer I thought all of the grains could be steeped, but I was wrong as the Carapils and Vienna were to be mashed. On the advice of a fellow HBT member I steeped the grains at 152 degrees for about an hour and then rinsed them with 170 degree water. I used about one gallon of water for this. I'm guessing this must have worked as the resulting fluid was sticky so the conversion to sugar must have been successful, correct? Everything went as planned except instead of using 5.25 pounds of extract (7 pounds of grain multiplied by .75) I used 6.6 pounds. My starting gravity was 1.056 and I lost about 1.75 gallons of wort to evaporation. My questions:
1. How will the extra LME affect the finished product?
2. Does my rate of evaporation seem a little much?
3. I realized about half way through the boil I used too much LME, should additional hops been added to offset the extra LME?

Thanks,

Tom

Back