Some of the Beers didnt carbonate properly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfknmario

Reaction score
I made a batch of White House beer with a slight twist..added another lb of honey after one week.. And some beers carbonated beautifully while others were kind of flat. I added the priming sugar while siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket like with my first batch.. Do u guys think that I should have added more sugar just in case? The Satarting gravity was pretty high and total time before bottling was only one month..Sstarting was 1.070 bra

superfknmario said:
I made a batch of White House beer with a slight twist..added another lb of honey after one week.. And some beers carbonated beautifully while others were kind of flat. I added the priming sugar while siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket like with my first batch.. Do u guys think that I should have added more sugar just in case? The Satarting gravity was pretty high and total time before bottling was only one month..Sstarting was 1.070 bra

For a 5 gal batch you should have about 3/4 cup of dextrose (priming sugar). Heat your priming sugar up to a slight boil with about 3/4 cups of sugar. Then pour it in your bottling bucket. Rack beer on top. After your beer is all in there, get a long spoon a slightly stir it back up. Not too much, just enough to get the falling sugar off the bottom of the bucket. Sometimes what happens is after you rack your beer on top of the PS, the PS will settle back down rather quickly because it is a heavier particle. I am sure your first 12 beers were the most carbonated and the rest were semi flat or no carb. It has happen to me MULTIPLE TIMES. It's very annoying, but after talking with other guys about it, they suggested I do what I just told you, and it has worked out good for me. Just remember to stir SLIGHTLY. Just enough to pick up the PS and mix back into the beer. Good luck

Thanks a ton. What I found weird was that my first batch turned out just fine. The difference though was that this batch had a much higher starting gravity, so I was worried that it was either the yeast or that I had to take extra steps given the higher alcohol content.

superfknmario said:
Thanks a ton. What I found weird was that my first batch turned out just fine. The difference though was that this batch had a much higher starting gravity, so I was worried that it was either the yeast or that I had to take extra steps given the higher alcohol content.

I had the exact same problem. My first three batches were great then slowly went downhill until I figured out what the problem was.

Quick question before I bottle another batch this weekend.. When u say to boil the sugar, how much water did u add to the sugar?

Dunno if anyone answering your question is OK, or whether you were specifically hoping for the other poster to reply, but generally I go with around 5 Oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and mix that up in a flask with boiled water to a total volume of 500cc. Cool for a little while and add around half to the bottling bucket, start racking on top of it, then carefully add the other half when roughly 2.5 gallons of beer has been racked over to the bottling bucket.:mug:

superfknmario said:

Hey sorry for the late response. For a 5 gal batch, you need 3/4 cup of sugar. Boil it will 3/4 cup of water. Whenever the water starts to boil, it's ready, just make sure you mix it well.

Happy tutkey day! Got the huge bird in the oven & my native American blueberry puddy done. HB in the fridge 5 days. I too have a little carb problem,3rd time in a row. My wife & fellow brewer thinks is was the temp here in the ol' man cave. They sat in boxes 3-4 days in here before hauled upstairs to the MB where it's warmer.
But I did get my pm pale alebrewed 10/9. But only 15 days conditioning time before fridging them. That can make for low carbonation. Sitting the first few days a little cooler than I'd like sems to produce that effect as well. So make sure they go into a warm place right off the bat to make sure that isn't the problem. I even checked the caps & they don't turn. If they turn,co2 can leak out as it's produced.

I agree with the suggestion to gently stir with your sanitized brewing spoon once racked to your bottling bucket. My first batch had some well carbonated bottles and a number of low carbonated bottles as well. I gave my latest batch, a tripel, a stir. I'll know if it worked in about another month!

Latest posts

Back