Help with Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GioGomez2010

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First let me say lots of good info on here and I've gotten prior help before from everyone on here which makes the process of brewing a breeze when I have questions! I will be starting my next batch soon, and have been thinking about going from a kit to my first partial mash, before going All Grain in the near future. I went to Brewmaster's Warehouse and decided to start building my own recipe which is posted below. I hope to make an American Pale Ale style beer and need helping tweaking the recipe I have begun to lay out. Please, any improvements or tips you might have feel free since I'm not too sure what I'm doing. Thanks!

Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 4 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 3 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 15L 8 oz
Crisp CaraMalt 8 oz
Cascade Pellets 1 oz
Centennial Pellets 1 oz
Saaz, US Pellets 1 oz
SAFALE US-05 American Ale

The target numbers posted up top from their calculator are as follows:
OG 1.045-1.060
FG 1.010-1.015
IBU 68.9
ABV 5.63

Looks like a good start.
If you want to net five gallons, might add .5 to 1lb DME, looks like gravity might be a bit low with 4lbs.
Also, IBU's of 69 is off the chart for the style, but if you want more of an IPA than a Pale Ale your OK.
You don't mention when you intend to add your hop additions. If you want to get IBU's "within style", here's one recommendation:
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%AA) 60 minutes
1 oz Centennial(10%AA) 30 minutes
1 oz Saaz (4%AA) 5 minutes
That would put you ~39 IBU's, near the upper-mid range for the style.

BTW, I use that Safale US-05 yeast on all kinds of beers, and love it. I've brewed 15-gal batches of various stouts, IPA's, pale ales, etc, and split the batches in three so I could compare US-05 to more expensive, "authentic", and time-using liquid yeasts. Couldn't tell much (if any) difference between them. I always keep a packet or two on hand, just in case anything happens to a liquid yeast starter.

Cheers

Awesome tips zakleeright, thank you! I appreciate the help! I realize that the bittering units are higher and more of an IPA so I'll reduce those and follow the Hop schedule that you recommended. (I didn't mention the hop schedule since I was hoping that someone would recommend something other than what the last few extract kits from LHBS have recommended. So thanks for that!) I'll add an extra .5-1lbs of DME, and I haven't tried other yeasts other than US-05 but I'm glad that you've had great success with it. It makes me a little more comfortable knowing someones compared it to other, more expensive brands and had great success. I hope to move to a liquid yeast and starters soon too but I'll definitely keep the US-05 around as well.
Again, thanks for your help! I'll update later once it's brewed. :mug:

Back