Low calorie beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyhigh

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to lower the calorie in a beer? I have been playing around with my software and I really have not found a way to really lower it.

Yeah drink Miller Lite. Sorry EAC response. But seri, smaller beers with low finishing gravitys. For example Guinness a dry stout, less sugars remaining in the beer fewer calories.

Home brew is not realy a low calorie option unless you are going for a BMC lite clone.

No real help to offer I'm afraid.

Just drink less and exercise more. No magic available

I was hoping for magic trick to get a good beer with less then 200+ cals with out losing the taste or alchool. I guess I will just have to go to the gym a little more :(

flyhigh said:
I was hoping for magic trick to get a good beer with less then 200+ cals with out losing the taste or alchool. I guess I will just have to go to the gym a little more :(
Very little in life is free.

If you are brewing all grain, you can do lower temperature mashes and get a more fermentable wort. Stay away from specialty grains (like crystal and cara-pils) that have levels of unfermentables. And, as mentioned, brew smaller beers. Every percent ABV is another 30 Calories per pint.

other than pure fat alcohol has the most calories per ounce. The only thing u can do is make a lower abv dryer beer. Avoid both sugar and alcohol. Guiness is one of the healthiest beers because most of its flavor comes from roasted grains. Make a very dry stout or porter or something with low alcohol and u can still get a well flavored beer thats not too bad for you.

I actually took an American Wheat extract recipe and cut down on the sugar and added coriander and sweet orange peel. It had a much lighter flavor and girls loved it. Did best after leaving it in the bottle for 10 weeks. I made it again pasteurized it and then left it in a room temperature keg for 10 weeks and got the same result. Might be a good solution to just take your existing recipes and cut back on sugar and compensate with other additives like I did. Also if you want to lighten the color up and make it look like a light beer, add some cereal grain in your non fermentables.

I actually took an American Wheat extract recipe and cut down on the sugar and added coriander and sweet orange peel. It had a much lighter flavor and girls loved it. Did best after leaving it in the bottle for 10 weeks. I made it again pasteurized it and then left it in a room temperature keg for 10 weeks and got the same result. Might be a good solution to just take your existing recipes and cut back on sugar and compensate with other additives like I did. Also if you want to lighten the color up and make it look like a light beer, add some cereal grain in your non fermentables.

"Cut down on the sugar"? You mean, decrease the amount of malt or extract? I don't usually use sugar in my beers so I'm unsure what you mean.

He means cut down on the sugar present in the beer. For low calorie beer, you are going to need something that is low alcohol and low FG (low final content of sugars and dextrins). It seems the best way to do this would be to have a low starting gravity and a very attenuative yeast.

For this discussion, its important to realize that your beer will have lower calories if all the sugar is fermented to alcohol (the yeast take energy from converting sugar to alcohol). The alcohol still has some calories so you want to limit this too.

I'd say you want to start with a low amount of dextrins. Then to get the ABV that you desire use extremely fermentable sugars. Some protein will give it body without racking up too many calories. You need flavor from something (and its not going to be tasting like a barleywine). Maybe a ****load of hops, some spices and fruit or dark malts? Maybe some adjunct that is not digestible that would increase viscosity like a lot of gelatin or something?

I'd say something like 50% wheat malt, 40% corn sugar and 10% pale chocolate malt + orange peel + spices + hops. Mash low to increase fermentability and shoot for a ABV ~3.5% and a FG as low as possible. Its not gonna be great but the objective is kind of at odds with taste.

I made a low abv wheat using 1.5kg of Pale Malt, 1Kg of what and hopped/dry-hopped with amarillo. According to Beer Calculus it's about 96 calories per 1/3 liter and around 3% alcohol. Finished very dry,very hoppy and ideal for hot days (but i'm inclined to think i higher abv, fuller version would be a lot tastier).

As far as the effects of alcohol and metabolism go findings are inconclusive. If I remember correctly the body metabolises alcohol as sugar but does not contain any sugar so it is not turned into fat. But this is confused by the fact that most alcoholic drinks contain carbs. which will be processed later if the body is processing sugar first.

Alcohol is also supposed to speed up metabolism but increase appetite. So if your body metabolises alcohol first as sugar it is less able then to process other sugars, fats and carbs, so the effects of sugars carbs and fats in the drink, or in the food you eat along with it, are more pronounced. I remember reading this somewhere but cannot find the reference. Basically include it as part of your daily intake and don't eat fatty carby food alongside it. (Or eat and drink what you want and take up running)

Resident Thread Necromancer asks:

- Why are you drinking beer?
- Is it 100% for taste, or 100% for alcohol, or somewhere in between?
- Do you stop drinking beer after you have consumed a certain total number of beverages? (i.e. you never drink more than 6 beers in a session, or some other number)
- Do you stop drinking beer after you have achieved a certain amount of intoxications? This can be directly related to the equivalent amount of 'pure' ethanol consumed.

If you want to drink something that tastes nice and will get you the buzz you desire, beer is not a good choice - you may want to switch to a nice dry white wine. I'll take 5oz of a nice 13% abv Pinot Noir (1/2 oz of pure ethanol and 108 calories) over a pint of Mich Ultra (1/2oz of pure ethanol and 190 calories) any day - the wine tastes better, and has half the calories and just as much alcohol.

But this is about beer to beer comparison, not beer to something else. The point is not how many calories are in a 12oz serving, but how many total servings you are going to drink. Right now i am drinking a DFH90, 298 calories and 9% abv. That works out to a beer with 60% efficiency per this site the efficient drinker Their idea of efficiency is to calculate how much alcohol you get per calorie consumed, completely disregarding subjective tastes.

When it comes to drinking beer and dieting, the main idea is portion control. If you want to get drunk without getting fat, drink a 6-pack of Bud Ice at 740 calories, and 4oz of pure ethanol. Or you can invest your 740 calories in drinking 2 1/2 bottles of DFH90 and miss out on 1.2oz of pure ethanol, but end up with something that you don't need to force down your throat.

Then again, if you are really looking for a low calorie buzz, there is always black-tar heroin. The Jimmy Page diet has never really gone out of fashion...

Back