help design my new brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
I have a great old time gas stove that I would like to adapt for my brew rig.
anybody got any ideas? 4 gas burners are cast iron my husband says he thinks they are more powerful than a modern stove the high part is an oven so it is also heated I could pipe an additional burner over to the top of the oven if needed to use it for a three tier or we could have pump(s) if needed. any input would be great.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Gotta love a woman willing to modify an antique stove for the sake of brew!
Kudos! Janet!
Your husband must be joyous!
When my wife gets there, I will be!
-David

Hey Janet,
I am sorry if my above post sounded in the least bit sarcastic.
That was defiantly not my intention at all.
I personally think it would be a very cool & vintage looking project.
If I offended, I appoligize. Sometimes the emotional content doesn't come across in the written word.
-David

It's a pretty cool looking stove. Should be worth a lot of money and not sure I would want to mix the brew rig with the stove. I was looking to buy an old stove but choked on some of the pricing.

Most of the old stoves will heat up a lot higher than the new ones and getting them to run hotter within reason is easier to do than trying to defeat all the safety stuff on the newer ones.

No offense taken. I think it's funny.
I got the stove for free. My husband works in a lot of old buildings & collects things that are being destroyed. I have had it for years and used it for a while by my bar b que pit but was thinking what a great brew rig it would make. I am still thinking about getting a burner up on top the oven to form my top tier. Just another cloud in the sky to think about. :)

for a rig you are usually dealing with keggles or humongous pots, so you may want to make sure they fit on it and can get enough heat to make it worth using. My thoughts are that it would be more trouble than it's worth for your main brew kettle, BUT I had another idea.

I do a lot of decoction mashing. In my brewhaus I have my single tier three-vessel two pump setup. I also have a glass cooktop my brother pulled out of a model home for me. I pull decoctions from the mash tun and use the cooktop to boil them. I also do my small stuff on those burners, like making starter worts and pressure canning them, heating up a pot of water for cleaning the rig, etc. It's very handy having a regular stovetop for those uses.

Back