Options for 55 gallon mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to ramp up my efforts and was looking at getting a blichmann 55 gallon boilermaker with false bottom for my tun. I was just wondering if anyone has come across a better product in this size range. I don't have a problem with paying for quality, but I only want to do it once.

We have a 45gal but that might be too small for you.

Many people use stainless 55gal drums. If I'm not mistaken there is a vendor on here that sells them.

I use a 55 gallon blue HDPE drum. I cut the top off and use it as a lid.
system.jpg

Not as pretty as a Blichmann but holds heat very well. It is also very light when you go to dump it. I do 30-35 gallon batches and have mashed 100 lbs of grain in the blue barrel.

I thought about suggesting the blue HDPE barrels as well. It just depends on how into bling you are. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using them in that application.

We found very nice stainless barrels from a place in South Carolina for ours that were $150 each, but after a trip there and back or freight it probably wouldn't be worth it anymore.

They are very thick and it is quite easy to install a bulkhead. I have used them as mash tuns for about 7 years. I especially like them when you go to dump the grain. A 60-90 pound grain bill is very heavy after the mash.

Now thats a Mash tun!.. ;-) and i was happy with my first 10gal SS brew kettle..
Great Idea to use the SS 55 gal drum.. I almost bought one for my smoker... nice setup.

Im not really looking for savings, I'm just trying to get the best product on the market. Plastic is out as I will be going the direct fire route.

Thanks Brad

SpikeBrewing said:
Not US made. I think they import from the same place as the stout guys (if I'm not mistaken).

Yeah, you are right on that, my mistake. I called them and they import from China, like most others..... :(

I looked at glacier tanks and they wanted almost $300 to ship Three burners to me, wound up shipping to Montana 40 mins away, it only cost $60. After their lack of help to get me a better shipping rate to my door, im less then enthused about going back to them to have to travel to another country pick up my stuff or get screwed hard on shipping.

As far as direct firing something this big, yes I'm worried about scorching, but it seems many others have gone this way, however I think I will be using a little more space between tun and flame then most people appear to do, and of course recirculate like my beers life depends on it cause it dose. Failing that I can always add something electric or another form of heat exchange, but i did that on the last one and for the amount i use it to make my simple little beers, I wish I had gone direct fire with recirc to begin with. However as always I do like other peoples opinions on other options for anything I do.

I have the Blichmann 55 gal with false bottom for my mash tun and love it. I direct fire with a 23-tip natural gas burner and manage it with a BCS-460. I've done very light pale colored beers in it and have never had a scorching issue. I recirculate the entire time of the mash and the burner will just kick in for maybe 10-15 seconds every few minutes to maintain temp. Not sure of the exact timings as I just let it do it's thing now. Before I implemented the BCS, I was surprised as to just how much temp the mash dropped. I assumed with that much grain it would be very stable, but that didn't end up being the case (for me anyway).

I've mashed 150 pounds of grain in it, but won't ever do that again. The most I'll do now is around 130. Most grain bills run between 90 - 120 lbs.

Back