Why does my beer clear in bottles, but not kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasq

Reaction score
I have been having some haze problems with my beer since I started kegging. Recently, I bottled a six pack with bier munchers DIY beer gun. To my amazement, after a few weeks in the fridge the beer pours crystal clear.

The keg in question has been in the keezer for several months, and it still pours cloudy every time. What gives? :confused:

In a keg you are essentially pouring from the bottom every time. In a bottle you are pouring off the top. When you have yeast or other sediment in your bottle or keg, it settles out and sits on the bottom.

In a keg you are essentially pouring from the bottom every time. In a bottle you are pouring off the top. When you have yeast or other sediment in your bottle or keg, it settles out and sits on the bottom.

I understand that, but what do folks do to prevent it? I know I have been served clear beer out of corny kegs without the tubes cut.

Some people have trimmed their dip tubes to get it away from the yeast and other stuff that settled into the bottom of the keg.

You must be siphoning too much trub into the keg.
My kegs always pour crystal clear. Once the keg empties I hardly have any debris in the bottom.
If you think about it kegs should be better than bottles. They essentially cold crash the entire time they are carbing which is equal to leaving a bottle in the fridge for 2-4 weeks.

Same here, I never have any problems with my kegs. My tubes touch the bottoms too. Usually the first beer might have something in it, but after that its perfect. I take a lot of care not to get any trub in there though. I also make sure my beer sits in primary for a minimum of a month to help it clear.

Back