Calculating Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hialtitude

Reaction score
I have read Palmers take on calculating your mash efficiency and am left with a question. When I take a hydrometer reading of the wort collected pre-boil, do I need to convert that number based on temperature? I measured my OG to be 1.032 pre-boil for six gallons at approximately 150 degrees F. Thanks!

That's what I figured, but wasn't sure based on the way Palmer discussed it. There was no direct mention of compensating for temp and I wanted to be positive.

hialtitude said:
That's what I figured, but wasn't sure based on the way Palmer discussed it. There was no direct mention of compensating for temp and I wanted to be positive.
Compensating for temperature is a necessary step when using the hydrometer for any reading, I imagine he thought it was unnecessary to mention.

hialtitude said:
There was no direct mention of compensating for temp and I wanted to be positive.

Check out Appendix A labeled "Using Hydrometers." There he discusses the need to compensate the temperature and lists a table of the necessary delta T's.

Hope this helps.

I don't know about anyone else i would be a little worried about dropping my hydrometer in 150deg wort. I usualy cool my wort before taking a reading, at least closer to 70. I guess that I would just worry about the hydrometer cracking or something from the sudden temp change.

Cheers

wop31 said:
I don't know about anyone else i would be a little worried about dropping my hydrometer in 150deg wort. I usualy cool my wort before taking a reading, at least closer to 70. I guess that I would just worry about the hydrometer cracking or something from the sudden temp change.
I believe they are also less accurate the farther from the calibration temperature you get (though don't quote me on that). That said I always cool to about 70F as well, though I rarely take a reading at the end of sparging anymore.

Back