Question about Mr Malty cal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I want to make a 3 gallon batch of a Russian Imperial Stout. I was wondering if I need to make a starter or not. I've never done that with any of my other 3 gallon batches, and they've turned out well. I read a post that pointed me to the Mr Malty calculator. When I put in my number, it says that I need a 1.2 liter starter. How do I make that? How much water and dme do I use to get this?

When I buy the yeast, do I get the propagator or activator?

Thanks
Todd

read his FAQ on starters. it is very thorough. in short, though, you'll want a 1.030 OG wort.... which is about 100 grams of DME per liter.

if you want to best 3 gallons of RIS possible, yes, you need to make a starter.

I assume from your post you are purchasing Wyeast liquid. A while back wyeast upped the volume in the smack packs and changed the name from propigator to activator or vice versa (can't remember which). Either will be fine assuming the yeast isn't past its "use by" date.

I want to make a 3 gallon batch of a Russian Imperial Stout. I was wondering if I need to make a starter or not. I've never done that with any of my other 3 gallon batches, and they've turned out well. I read a post that pointed me to the Mr Malty calculator. When I put in my number, it says that I need a 1.2 liter starter. How do I make that? How much water and dme do I use to get this?

When I buy the yeast, do I get the propagator or activator?

Thanks
Todd

You need the activator. I don't think they even sell the propagator anymore. For your starter, use 1/2 cup DME per every 2 cups of water. For 1.2 liters, that's 5 cups of water. So, a total of 1 1/4 cups of DME added to 5 cups of boiling water.

If you have a scale, it's much easier! Use 100 grams of DME per liter of water. Metric is easier for stuff like that.

Back