okay to siphon off yeast cake off fermenting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
So I had planned to brew one batch one week and then put it in secondary and use the yeast cake to do another batch the following week.

This is usually not a problem, but this time I fermented relatively low (59F) and it's still bubbling away with full krausen and it looks like it will not be 100% done by this weekend.

Would there be any problem with me siphoning out a good amount of yeast cake for the new brew from the bottom of the carboy, then putting the stopper back on and letting it sit for another week to finish fully?

So I had planned to brew one batch one week and then put it in secondary and use the yeast cake to do another batch the following week.

This is usually not a problem, but this time I fermented relatively low (59F) and it's still bubbling away with full krausen and it looks like it will not be 100% done by this weekend.

Would there be any problem with me siphoning out a good amount of yeast cake for the new brew from the bottom of the carboy, then putting the stopper back on and letting it sit for another week to finish fully?

No there would not be a problem with that. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension

Thanks. I figure it'd be okay since the yeast at the bottom is basically sleeping and the yeast really doing the work is floating around in the beer/wort.

Latest posts

Back