Using a step bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
So, I am trying to drill a hole in my keg with a step bit. These are the $10 step bits from harbor freight. The first 3 steps went fine, but now I am at about 1/2 inch and it doesnt cut. It just spins and smoke (thats when I stop). Is there a trick to using these bits?

So, I am trying to drill a hole in my keg with a step bit. These are the $10 step bits from harbor freight. The first 3 steps went fine, but now I am at about 1/2 inch and it doesnt cut. It just spins and smoke (thats when I stop). Is there a trick to using these bits?

Plenty of oil and a lot of pressure.

Those Harbor Freight bits are pretty cheap. By the time you "let the smoke out of it", it may be shot for that step. I think the closer to the weld where the upper/lower rings are attached you try to drill, the more trouble you may have.

I've only put a few holes in kegs, but I think the upper and lower rings are harder material and where they are welded, the keg gets hardened.

Keep in mind, if the bit is shot, it's just that specific step thats shot (unless you got the whole bit way to hot). You might be able to go at the hole with a file to get the bit to start cutting again and make it on to the next step.

Good luck.

Back