BYO magazine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just got a the latest issue of BYO and was thinking about subscribing. I was wondering, though, if those of you that subscribe find it helpful? The issue I have does not seem too technical or above my head, since I am still a noob (about 15 batches under my belt).

Would like people's thoughts.

I LOVE BYO. It's not a deep read, but there is something every month that I learn.

This month has the brewing setup of one of our members, The POL. Biermuncher's trash-a-rator was in a couple of months ago, and Brewpastor's set up was in there about a year or so ago. There are good articles, and some nice recipes. I really enjoy it.

I got a subscription to it along with my brew kit. So far its been a good read. I've learned some stuff and used a few tips I've seen in there. Some of the topics are over my head. But I think they do a good job catering to both n00bie and experienced brewers.

It is a cool mag... good info, recipes... well put together IMHO.

I find it very relaxing at night, laying in bed with a small glass of my IPA and a small block of cheddar cheese...leafing through the pages of a BYO magazine and dog-earing the recipe pages.

....Of course, I keep a copy of the BJCP Style Guidelines in my bathroom as well.... :D

I love BYO but I wish it was a monthly magazine. It's like the Playboy, Sports Illustrated and Popular Mechanics of brewing rolled into one.

I find it very relaxing at night, laying in bed with a small glass of my IPA and a small block of cheddar cheese...leafing through the pages of a BYO magazine and dog-earing the recipe pages.

....Of course, I keep a copy of the BJCP Style Guidelines in my bathroom as well.... :D

Heh heh :) I keep BYO 150 clone recipes, Ray Daniels and BJCP in my bathroom. If you are skittish about that sort of thing you might not want to read those three publications at my house, but I have read them all from cover to cover multiple times.

I traded some homebrew to Ryan_PA for a sub to BYO last year. When the time came to renew, I decided not to and I pickup issues from my LHBS if the content appeals to me (which means that I grab either BYO or Zymurgy depending on which appeals to me more)

The issues immediately prior to my sub lapse had too much content was pulled directly from internet forums and what wasn't, was a little too impractical and I really didn't feel like paying for that.

It looks like the subscription to BYO is a must than, if for no other reason than to increase my bathroom library - and the recipes of course!

I subscribed for a year and dropped it. If you like brewing bling and are trendy, it's ok.

On my second renewal. Yes, it has been simple at times and shows things I will never be doing/making in my brewery. These instances are infrequent for me and I get so much more from the mag. Recipes, tips/tricks, info about other areas, and some good interesting reading. I like it and will keep subscribing for the foreseable future.

STILL waiting for my FIRST issue to arrive!! I was given a gift subscription back in Oct/Nov so I should of AT LEAST of recieved the Jan/Feb issue but they ran out. On the fourth of this month I was informed that they would add an issue to the end of the period and that this issue had recently shipped. So far I'm seeing a poorly run operation at BYO, IMHO. If/when I see the Jan/Feb for sale as a back issue there will be helles to pay.

STILL waiting for my FIRST issue to arrive!! I was given a gift subscription back in Oct/Nov so I should of AT LEAST of recieved the Jan/Feb issue but they ran out. On the fourth of this month I was informed that they would add an issue to the end of the period and that this issue had recently shipped. So far I'm seeing a poorly run operation at BYO, IMHO. If/when I see the Jan/Feb for sale as a back issue there will be helles to pay.

Just call them if your having problems. Some People closer to distribution get theres first. I just received march/april last friday...they never missed an issue. Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Brew Your Own

It is a cool mag... good info, recipes... well put together IMHO.

Hehehe. I have the Homebrew Nation article right here.... Why does this electric brew rig look so.... familiar? ;) :D

(In fact, right now I'm looking at your Johnson (A419 controller).)

Hehehe. I have the Homebrew Nation article right here.... Why does this electric brew rig look so.... familiar? ;) :D

(In fact, right now I'm looking at your Johnson (A419 controller).)

You are looking at my Johnson? Nice.

I ordered my subscription for BYO last fall, and my first issue (march) arrived on Friday.
I found the Aussie article an interesting read.
My copy of the Recipe Issue has been very well thumbed through. :)

I was sad to see the runway lights & fog machine hadn't made it on in time, though. ;)

I was sad to see the runway lights & fog machine hadn't made it on in time, though. ;)
I DO need a larger breaker for that ;)

The electric conversion totally wore me out this winter. It will be some time before I do anymore work on the rig, I can assure you.

I thought the drinking kangaroo on the cover was cool, oh and that all-electric brewing system was the bomb. Wish we had that kind of talent here at HBT.

I thought the drinking kangaroo on the cover was cool, oh and that all-electric brewing system was the bomb. Wish we had that kind of talent here at HBT.

Talent like that at HBT? HBT is full of wannabees!

The electric conversion totally wore me out this winter. It will be some time before I do anymore work on the rig, I can assure you.

Trust me I feel your pain. The conversion from porch-brewery to basement-brewery wore me out right before I started it. That means that once I get the motivation up, I am faced with an enormous project right off the bat. Whee. :)

(I don't know why it's such a big project - I mean, the room is empty and has cinder-block walls. It just needs the carpet yanked out, and a good spraying with bleach all over.)

Ahoy hoy,
I just finished my subscription to BYO and I didnt renew it. Why? To be honest, their subscription sucks. I subscribe to things to get them ahead of them being on the bookstore shelf, and for convenience, not to save money. Over 3/4s of last years issues came a week later then barnes and noble got them, and a couple never even showed up. But they sure have no problem trying to get me to renew, i got my first renewal notice before i got my first issue. Thats a bit overkill. So, now, I just go to B&N and pick up the new issue. Its a good magazine with great info, but they cant mail it on time for their life.
FYI
A great day to you all, were in the middle of a day long blizzard.....

Back