a GOOD Bud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrphij

Reaction score
my freind found out I have started brewing at home and asked if I could make him something like bud.....is there a formula for a GOOD Bud?

Take an extract Pale Ale recipe, cut the hops in half and substitute rice syrup for half of the malt. Or look for "light american ale" recipes.

adrphij said:
my freind found out I have started brewing at home and asked if I could make him something like bud.....is there a formula for a GOOD Bud?

The thing with trying to brew "Bud" is that you'd be disappointed in the finished product, probably. Lagering it would require more equipment and a longer wait, and you'd definitely need to do that for a "good" homebrewed lager. You could most definitely buy a couple of cases of the real thing for cheaper than brewing it.
My suggestion is to try and brew something like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. You would have excellent drinkable beer in about a month (instead of 2-3 months). Oh yeah, you'll be hooked, too. :)

or a golden ale....like orrelse said, lagers are difficult, costly, and not always on the mark unless they get lagered for a couple months.

2.5 lbs extra light dme...1 lb corn sugar. tie 1 hop pellet to a string and wave it over the boiling pot for 3 seconds.

timdsmith72 said:
2.5 lbs extra light dme...1 lb corn sugar. tie 1 hop pellet to a string and wave it over the boiling pot for 3 seconds.

I heard you were supposed to take a picture of a hops plant and flash it to the wort for 5 seconds.

Cheesefood said:
I heard you were supposed to take a picture of a hops plant and flash it to the wort for 5 seconds.

Dont be so darn silly...picture of hops...c'mon now...your supposed to SAY the word "hops" within a 5 foot radius of your boil.

<-----still drinks budweiser, miller and even coors if it's offered... brewing my own has not made me a beer snob ;)

use pilsner malt as a base, and some german hops. tell him that's the original budvar :D

Man.... if I had to guess I would say that it would be easier to invite him over to make a real good beer which would convince him he should lay off the battery acid...

Seriously though... ahh... well certainly you will want plenty of carbonization as I recall Bud has plenty of.

Go ahead get your brewing bucket

Step 1 invite all your friends over
Step 2 have them gather around the bucket
Step 3 have them all take a leak in the bucket
Step 3 keg and carbonate the urine and you got a bud

usmcruz said:
Go ahead get your brewing bucket

Step 1 invite all your friends over
Step 2 have them gather around the bucket
Step 3 have them all take a leak in the bucket
Step 3 keg and carbonate the urine and you got a bud
That's EXACTLY why American beer is served ICE COLD!!!:eek: ... so you don't confuse the two.

I've never made this so I can't vouch for it. Sorry.

Budweiser Clone
by Karl Glarner Jr.
This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast &#8212; no lagering required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5 gallons)

Ingredients:

&#8226; 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
&#8226; 1.5 lbs. light honey
&#8226; 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min., 0.5 oz. for steeping
&#8226; 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
&#8226; 1 tsp. gypsum
&#8226; Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
&#8226; 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil.

Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return to boil.

Total boil is 60 min.

Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min.
Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 15 min. more.
Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more.
Turn off heat, add 0.5 oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min.
Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled water.
When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

im glad someone agrees with me on that issue, watch out there are bud cults out there.

This is what i've got from my home brew store.

Very low hop bitterness. This is a dry light bodied beer. This is the beer your neighbors who consume mass amounts (90% of all beer drunk in the U.S) of and are always wanting you to brew. Make some new friends today.

3.3 lbs. Extra light Malt Extract
2½ lb. 2 Row Pale Domestic (cracked)
½ lb. 6 Row Pale (cracked)
1½ oz. Saaz Hops
½ oz. Saaz Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - California Lager or American Lager (if your have temperature controlled refrigerator).

Mash grains in 1 gallon of 160°F water for 60 minutes. Sparge with 1 gallon of 170°F water. Return the liquid to pot add malt extract and 1½ oz. Saaz hops and boil for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and add ½ oz. Saaz hops and steep for 10 minutes. Strain into enough cold water to make 5 gallon and pitch yeast when cooled to 80°F or below. Ferment at 70°F or lower if possible.
Yields 5 gallons.

Back