DME -> 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Ive decided to start doing PM and some simple AG recipes now. Still a newb so Im trying to figure it out the best I can.

From what ive gathered DME and 2 Row are basically adding the majority of fermentable sugars to your wort. Is there an easy conversion for adding 2 Row to replace the amount of DME you would normally use?

Chris Colby, the editor of BYO says if you're replacing some DME with 2-row pale malt in a mini-mash or partial mash, subract .053 lbs from your DME. You may end up a little with a slightly higher OG, but this way it's not assuming 100% efficiency in your mash, which is probably hard to attain anyway unless you're really experienced or have HERMS or RIMS system.

Hope this helps, it's the general guideline I've been using ever since I started doing partial mash brews, and I've experienced success and improved quality.
Good luck.

BREW ON:mug:

brackbrew said:
Chris Colby, the editor of BYO says if you're replacing some DME with 2-row pale malt in a mini-mash or partial mash, subract .053 lbs from your DME.

Sorry, I meant, for every lb. of 2-row you use, subtract 0.53 lbs from you DME. God damn, I can't think or type anymore.

BREW ON:mug:

Back