Does this look normal for a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
First hefeweizen...it's been fermenting for 6 days now. Very vigorous ferment which has finally slowed to one bubble every 3 minutes. Popped the lid to take a gravity reading and was a bit surprised because I haven't seen this before. I would assume it's normal, but I've never seen this big of a krausen (or one as...shall we say milky?) after a week fermenting.

img0964zz1.jpg

img0966kb2.jpg

maltMonkey said:
First hefeweizen...it's been fermenting for 6 days now. Very vigorous ferment which has finally slowed to one bubble every 3 minutes. Popped the lid to take a gravity reading and was a bit surprised because I haven't seen this before. I would assume it's normal, but I've never seen this big of a krausen (or one as...shall we say milky?) after a week fermenting.

img0964zz1.jpg

img0966kb2.jpg

Yes sir, Just got done fermenting my imperial Hefe and it was worse it blew the air lock out of the top of the bucket and made a huge mess. No Worries!:mug:

Looks just like two batches I have down stairs.

You may want to rock that bucket back and forth a few times (with the lid on) to knock that yeast-rich pudding back down into the beer.

Fermentation in these krausen heavy batches can sometimes slow down because so much yeast "beaches" itself on the fermenter walls.

BierMuncher said:
Looks just like two batches I have down stairs.

You may want to rock that bucket back and forth a few times (with the lid on) to knock that yeast-rich pudding back down into the beer.

Fermentation in these krausen heavy batches can sometimes slow down because so much yeast "beaches" itself on the fermenter walls.

Doing it right now....thanks for the tip! :mug:

Oh, and also is it OK to go ahead and take a gravity reading at this point, or should I wait for the krausen to fall?

if you shake it back down, give it a few days to finish fermenting, then take a reading.

heffe yeast always reminds me of when sigorny jumped into the alien breeding thingy... :D

Speaking of hydro samples....I just took a sample of this and it was pretty awesome.

After posting I came back to the beer 30 minutes later, and this is what it looked like:

img0970ix9.jpg

Hefe's really must produce as much CO2 as I've read about, because:

the primary bucket's lid was always very convex because of the pressure, then there was the vigorous fermentation, now the krausen is all gone a few minutes after opening the lid.
I went ahead and took a reading: 1.013, almost exactly where it's supposed to be. I'll leave it in the primary for a couple more days, then it's bottling time!

An imperial hefe is a pretty novel idea......I would like to know how that turns out too.

You've got me scheming about an imperial light lager.... :D

my LHBS made an imperial pilsner that was amazing. clean and crisp, hid the alcohol well. i requested the recipe a few times, but he never has it at the store.

I just brewed a hefe and i didnt know to shake it, I think for this reason the hefe was clearer than I planed. Good to know for next time.

Back