Debating Electric Vs Propane in a Townhouse Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
Hey all,

For the last year I've been doing partial boil extracts in my kitchen, my goal this year is to go AG and I'm trying to decide how to invest my limited budget.

I live in a end unit townhome with a small yard and know HOA so I'm pretty lucky with that. however I do not have space for an out building and do not have a garage.

What I do have is a full basement half is finished and half is not I feel like I could setup an electric system here and vent through one the basement windows. We have a 200amp service coming into the house and A lot of open capacity.

The disadvantages I see to electric is startup costs, the advantage is best utilization of my space. I'm a bit out of my depth here and could really use some guidance.

I live in a townhouse with a finished basement and a garage. I built two 1500W heatsticks and they work great for my BIAB 5 gallon setup. I didn't need an electrician, I don't have to deal with cold weather (guess you're fine in Houston), no runs for propane, and I have all the utilities I need right there. I have never used propane and as long as this keeps working (don't see why it wouldn't), I don't think I ever will.

Back