Beverage Air BM23 Compressor Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somebody

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I got a BM23 for 25 bucks. It was working but in cosmetically poor shape when I picked it up. I took the time to sant, seal and repaint it and cleaned the crap out of the stainless. It is just my luck that after I put the condensation tray back together and plugged it in, the only thing that will file up is the condensation fan no matter what setting I put the thermostat to. The compressor won't fire up and is isn't chilling inside the unit.

Any suggestions? This unit sat for about 9 months whle I cleaned, sealed and put it back together. Is this a thermostat problem? If it is, how do I bypass the thermostat to make sure it isn't a compressor problem.

Any input would be great.

Jess:mug:

I just had a look at the wiring diagram. http://www.beverage-air.com/images/barEquipment/manuals/BB manual.pdf It looks like the unit has 2 fans - one inside (evaporator) and one in the compressor area (condenser). When you say "condensation fan", are you referring to the one in the compressor area? There could be a couple of things wrong - how are you equipped for tools & test equipment? The condenser fan should cycle on / off with the compressor via thermostat & the inside fan should run all of the time. There are several check you can make with a voltmeter if you have one, but it's a multi-step process.

I have one. Sounds like you need a new compressor and maybe replace the oil separator. The compressor isn't cheap, I think around $200 if I recall? Try to find someone who works on commercial hvac units on the side, unless you can.

It could be just the overload protector (cheap), one of the starting components or a bad connection if the 'stat is working ok. If the compressor rotor isn't completely locked up, a hard start kit may be enough to shake it loose. Need to know if it's trying to start momentarily, getting warm, humming, etc. & go through it step by step with a meter....

The motor (compressor) fan isn't spinning at all. The condensation fan that is housed inside the actual fridge compartment is spinning. How do I know if the stat is working? To my understanding, the compensation fan on this unit is always on so no matter if I turn the stat up or down, it still spins and the compressor still doesn't go on.

The unit worked and blew cold when I picked it up which is why I thought it might be the stat? Wondering if I can bypass it to find out.

Just FYI on the power consumption of the BM23....

I tested mine last week using a Kill-A-Watt plug in meter. I only ran it a few days, but multiplying the run-hours out for a complete month, it will cost me about $13/mo to run. Compare that to my Kenmore kegerator (Haier rebranded) which costs about $4.30 a month.

Yeah, you can pull the wires off of the 'stat & jumper them together and plug it in and see if the compressor starts (or tries to) and the condenser fan should come on also. I've seen controls fail both in open & closed conditions. I think there is a troubleshooting chart along with the wiring diagram in the link I posted earlier which may help you.

Score! The compressor fires right up when I bypassed the thermostat. That just saved me a bundle on a wasted project. Just gotta get a new stat and I'm in business. Thanks for the help!

I second the electronic control. I've replaced many mechanical / cap tube 'stats with Johnson Controls electronic controls & have had very good luck with them. The electronic version gives you programmable set points, differential setting and anti short-cycle delay to protect the compressor. They have an LED indicator to tell you when the compressor should be running which is helpful. Glad you've found the problem!!

That's good news! If it were me, I'd put a Johnson, Love or eBay digital controller on there.

Good idea, I think I will do that. That way if I get rid of it at some point, I will be able to pull off the controller to use on something else.

I know that this is an old thread, but I had to reply. I just picked up an older BM 23 for 50 bucks at a garage sale. compressor fan didn't run, and I didn't know what to do. just ran a jumper on the thermo and the compressor and fan kicked right on. I am so pumped to keg my 1st batch now!

thanks very much all!

Don

I got an old BM23 from my uncle last year. It was the old Freon type, woodgrain and all. I had my wife wrap it in vinyl and cleaned it up. thermo was shot so i hooked a love controller up. You can see it in the back. I plan on recessing it into the side of the kegerator eventually, just havent had a chance.
2012-05-10_20-50-50_675.jpg

I have a BM23 that is cycling on an off but not getting cold enough
Do you think if I change out the thermostat it will solve the issue?

I got lucky and got a used compressor from a forum member here for free so all I had to pay for was a new dryer and a few other little things (about $50 worth of stuff). Labor, as always, was the killer at almost $200. Still not a bad deal for one of these babies!

Thanks Butch,

Right now I can get down to 38 so I'm not so concerned but I think I'm gonna have to fork out some $$$ sooner or later

Congrats on resurrecting the old gal. Wish I was having as much luck with mine. Ran ok after getting her recharged, but then started to overcool and would trip the overload. Now, she won't fire, even with new starter relay, temp control and overload. Guess my 40+ year old compressor finally gave up? How hard is the DIY replacement on one?

Back