Lime wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
Made some Lime Wine on Sunday, and pitched the yeast on Tuesday night. Whew! It smelled TERRIBLE the next morning! It has gotten better over the last two days; but, still has a faint smell to it. If anyone has ever cultured coliform bacteria using m-endo broth and gotten a really ripe plate; then you know exactly what it smelled like. Other than that, the yeasties are doing there thing I'm I am really looking forward to trying this one.

Smelling much better now. Still has a different smell, but not foul like it was a couple of days ago. I was relaxing; but I'll be honest, I was a little worried.

I heard it produces a bad taste when you ferment citrus, like vomit. Better watch out for that. Maybe heavily backsweetening will help. Hmmm... sweet carbonated lime wine. Now there's an idea.

Oh! Post the recipe, please! I love the flavor of lime, and a wine based on this fruit sounds awesome!

What is the end result, flavor-wise, that you're going for?

I just bottled my attempt at Lime wine, Limes were on sale dirt cheap. Sure hope it tastes better with age, other wise I will dump it. I hate crappy tasting wine. I think hard limeade would work better.

It's my first shake at Lime, so I'm not sure what to expect from it. Agreed, it was pretty cheap to make, I think time will take care of it. How long did you let it bulk age and/or bottle age before tasting. From the receipies I have read and from what I heard from others, it needs at least a year of age on it.

You can find th receipe on Jack Keller's wineblog. From what I remember, it was two 3lb bags of limes squeezed plus the zest from one of the 3lb bags, 5lbs of sugar, about 30 drops of pectic enzyme, 3 campden tablets, and yeasr nutrient; although I don't remember how much. Mix it up and wait.

Racked to the secondary yesterday. It sat in the primary for 20 days, which is longer than a planned; however, life sometimes gets in the way of brewing. I'm certain it was the yeast giving the off-smell, when I got to the bottom of the bucket I smelled that funky smell all over again...ugh! SG was about 0.994, and it tasted alright, still has a very acidic and overly strong citrus/lime smell, but I am certain with time it will get better. Possible downside: my bucket smells like lime. I cleaned it pretty good and let it air-out overnight. I'll see what it's like in the next couple of days.

Racked again and added some Triple Sec. I would say the flavor is similar to a margarita; but more limey and sour, which I really like. The alcohol smell is really strong, but you can't taste it. I give this a thumbs up, and it will be great chilled down. I'll bottle next week and crack the first bottle in May.

Just a helpful hint on cleaning-- if you buy a box of baking soda and use half in the bucket with nice hot tap water and let it sit for a couple of days and then rinse well, it should take care of the lime smell. I use baking soda in my big 5 gallon water coolers (those big insulated ones) after I make lemonade or ice tea and it really takes the smell/taste out....
Also if you store your buckets for a long time, a baggie of baking soda, that is left open at the top will keep them from smelling musty or yucky during storage. Just drop the baggie in and put another bucket on top and drop a baggie and bucket till you get to the top and then one last baggie and lid and your set for storage.
I use food grade buckets for many things around the house, and this is one of the best ways that I have found to keep them fresh.

The lime wine with the triple sec sounds great! Margarita's are one of my favorite summer drinks!:rockin: Maybe try one with lime and raspberries? :D

Back