new wine-maker: bentonite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
hello!

a relative gave me an Island Mist wine-making kit (strawberry white merlot)

had to stop at my nslhbs to buy bottles. corker, etc...owner thereof advised against using the included bentonite, saying it will leave a harshness in the wine. I forget what he recommended in its place.

what say the experts here?

[first of MANY questions]

thanks!

I'm a newbie wino too, but bentonite just acts as a finning agent, attracting the opposite charged particles in the must / wine to help clear and drops out of solution into the lees.

Everything I've read and heard says to do the kits per the instruction sheet. Bentonite is a very common item in a lot of kits.

I've seen a video of someone using a wine kit, and they added Bentonite at the very start, anyone know why this is?

From what I've read, adding it at the start gets the bentonite circulating in the must/wine from the churning of the fermentation. It then has more of a chance of coming in contact with the particulate in suspension and pulling them out into the trub/lees.

Adding earlier also allows you to use less. Adding later on needs a larger amount because there is less circulation in the must after fermentation is finished.

Back