all grain Coconut Wheat....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
so my family is going to the beach @ the beginning of June and I want to brew up a batch to take down... I want something that will appeal to everyone... A summery wheat ale w/ a hint of coconut sounds perfect for drinking on the beach...

anyone have any luck with this before?

I pulled this recipe from another website... anyone see anything that would need tweaked???

for the coconut, i am thinking 1 pound toasted shredded coconut (organic)... toast in the oven @ 325 for 10-15 minutes or so and leave in the secondary for 2 or 3 weeks.

* 5 lbs wheat malt
* 1 lb British pale ale malt
* 0.5 oz Cascade whole hops (alpha acid = 5.5%) 60 min
* 0.5 oz Cascade 10 min
* 0.5 oz Cascade steep
* Wyeast #1968 (London ESB)

what do you all think about that????

thanks!

The grain bill sounds ok to me. When you say "steep" for the last hop addition are you planning to dry hop or put in at flameout? I would probably skip that part since the hop aroma might trump any coconut aroma. Also, 1lb of coconut probably would be barely detectable. Coconut isn't a very strong flavor in and of itself and I've personally found when using fruit several pounds are often needed for a discernible taste contribution. But, I've never used coconut yet so for all I know it could be an exception, I doubt it though.

Oh, and for the yeast why not use an american wheat yeast or an american ale yeast?

*EDIT - also just realized that grain bill is a bit light at only 6 lbs. I would probably up it to 8-9lbs myself. But that is all preference really.

Rev.

I just brewed an Orange Honey What and my grain bill was only 8.75lbs. Wish I would have done more like 10 lbs, but my efficency isn't the best. It's going to be a small beer. You might want to think about upping the grains.

Also I suggest Wyeast 1056 as well if this is going to be more of an American Wheat Beer.

thanks for the helpful replies!

I don't want to make it too crazy, as some of the ladies are only used to drinking crap beer. ie: bud light, miller light, etc... weak, i know...

but i'm gonna do a batch that i will enjoy too... probably a nice ESB!

I have never thought of using coconut before but I certainly will now!!! I agree that the grain bill may be a little light but it's whatever you want it to be. Update us with how it turns out. My interest is piqued.

OatStraw said:
Best of luck!

I'll openly admit I still drink Bud Light.

I prefer homebrew and craft beer to yellow fizzie beer. However, there is nothing wrong with enjoying one on a hot day or at the ball game. They serve a purpose occasionally.

Back