Additives and additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayIF1488

Reaction score
Since I started brewing I've looked for things to make my beer good and also different. When in the supermarket I'm always looking for new things to add for taste mainly like spices or sugars that have a distinct flavor. The most recent thing was bottling a cream ale with Irish cream flavored agave nectar. I was just curious what my fellow home brewers were adding that was a little out of the ordinary. (FYI the agave nectar gave it a really good Irish cream flavor after about 3weeks of aging.)

I'm desperately trying to make a caramel vanilla ale that isn't overpowering. It's tough!

Additions that work though are honey to a belgian (standard from what I've read, though tasty!)

Ultrazord said:
I'm desperately trying to make a caramel vanilla ale that isn't overpowering. It's tough!

Additions that work though are honey to a belgian (standard from what I've read, though tasty!)

If it's a sugar your trying to get your flavor from or a spice and you bottle try making a primer tea I've found that seems to bring out the flavor well with age. But beware using too much will over power easily.
I'm just starting to try this with keging it doesn't work as well yet but like all things it takes time & experience to perfect just like hops & grain. The easiest way to make things not overpowering is obvious find out what it is that is overpowering and us less of it,or find a way to balance it out.

Back