Vienna malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayo

Reaction score
I'm doing my first all grain batch today and just realized that I only have 1 lb of Vienna malt and the recipe calls for 2. I do have some light dme and amber dme on hand. Any chance I can substitute one of these for the Vienna?

What is the percentage of the Vienna in your grain bill? If it is a small percentage, it shouldn't make too much difference if you only use one pound instead of two.

If you're looking to hit a specific OG, then go ahead. The light DME will be closer in color to the Vienna than the amber.

Thanks. Supposed to be 11 lbs of grain but I only have 10.

I don't know the recipe, but that much difference, in a light beer you will notice it. Like, if the recipe is a stout or porter, sub the DME, no one will know. If its a bitter or pilsner or something light, then I don't believe that the substitute will make the same beer you intend because its an 8% difference.

It's supposed to be a Kolsch... I added the dme and the OG ended up being 1.072. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed

I bet it will be a great Kolsch though. Homebrewing I try not to get too stuck on style guidelines. As long as the beer tastes good and gives a buzz I don't care.

Latest posts

Back