Question about relocating my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boothbrew

Reaction score
This is the first year I purchased hops (from freshops). I planted 6 different varieties in spring. The tallest one is about 6/7 feet and the shortest one is only 3 feet or so. None of them have produced any cones. I think this happened because that area gets less sunlight than I originally thought it would (trees are shading the area more than I thought). The question is this: If I decide to dig them up in fall and move them to a different part of my yard, would next year still be like it is a first year hop (less likely to produce cones)? Also, do you think the lack of cones is because it is the first year or because it is not getting enough sunlight?

Thanks

First year is for growing. Most of the time one does not get cones. I got 1.5 oz off of five plants.

Move them early spring & you should get a good crop.

when exactly did you plant your hops? it might be hard to remember but can be important.

what kind are they?

If your plants have been growing for only 2 months then they have a way to go.

All of my 14 plants were in the ground by May 15. They have all had time to grow and most have done so, some very well. I know due to the kind of hop that some should grow very well where as others grow slower. My Chinook is right next to my N.Brewer. The Chinook is an absolute monster where as the N.Brewer still hasn't past 10 feet. I just know that the N.Brewer is a slow grower and that its not a sunlight issue. So I'm not expecting cones from it.

However my kent golding is over by the fence away from the main group and isn't doing as well, it is always shaded by a tree and gets little direct sunlight. So I'm going to move it for next year.

Your watering habits could be affecting growth. Growth can also be affected by how well you prepared the soil beforehand.

If you move your plants and grow them in an area that gets more sunlight I would think you would get more cones.

Also, how are you watering them?

Move them in the spring though. They shouldn't act like a first year planting because you'll be transplanting a larger set of roots, not just a single rhizome. Somehow the plant knows it doesn't have to waste energy on further root development and get right to growing the bines.

Back