Building a Kegerator in Canada!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, although this site has numerous threads on DIY kegerators, it seems that we Canucks have a harder time putting our hands on a model that will accomodate the necessities to make a fine beer dispenser. Canadian Tire is currently holding a Salton fridge that accepts the modifications necessary... and this is how I went about it.

This is a Salton 4.6 cu.ft fridge which was purchased at Canadian Tire. The first step is unglueing the top. This is simply done by grabbing one of the front corners and slowly peel it off. Although it might sound as though its cracking from left to right, do it slowly and all will be fine.

CIMG1596-1.jpg

This is the technique I used to see if any lines were running through the top. Fortunately there were no disasterous surprises.

CIMG1601.jpg

I used wood to stabilize the tower which i believe is mandatory, especially if you're using a DIY tower. I've decided to use Bradsul's cooling solution which is cheap, easy and functional.

CIMG1623.jpg

The tower is a 3inch ABS plastic pipe which I covered using stainless-like Con-Tact (also available at canadian tire). As for the orange cap...I will either paint it or try to find something stainless that will fit....

CIMG1628.jpg

Comments and questions are welcome!

Special thanks goes out to Bradsul and OCB Tilly for their help.

Nicely done! Did you have to do any mods to the inside of the fridge? Is there room for a tank inside, too?

Nice idea with the faux SS tower. :mug:

Thanks for the comments!

The interior does need to be modified if you want to fit two kegs. Here's OCB Tilly's thread on how to go about it --> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45450

As for fitting the Co2 bottle...i'm pretty sure you could easily fit a 5lb tank on the ''shelf'' in the back of the fridge, but I have a 10lb that will be sitting outside.

Hey BeerCanuck, I live in Melocheville (google it :p) which is about an hour south-west of Montreal.

Thanks!!

Costco in Canada sells the Danby 4.4 (DAR446BSL) which I think I've seen mentioned somewhere that it can be converted with similar instructions as the popular 4912.

Regular price in the store is $169 I believe but their summer coupon book has a $30 off coupon between Aug 18-31. (It's not clear whether it's for the fridge above but the picture sure looks like it). If I can get it for $139 I'm almost tempted to bite the bullet and build my kegerator out of it.

Costco in Canada sells the Danby 4.4 (DAR446BSL) which I think I've seen mentioned somewhere that it can be converted with similar instructions as the popular 4912.

Regular price in the store is $169 I believe but their summer coupon book has a $30 off coupon between Aug 18-31. (It's not clear whether it's for the fridge above but the picture sure looks like it). If I can get it for $139 I'm almost tempted to bite the bullet and build my kegerator out of it.

I'm in the middle of building a lagering chamber using a Peltier device, but couldn't wait to get it finished, so I bought a 5.2 Cu-Ft freezer at Sam's (Cambridge, ON) for $188. It is going to hold my 6 gallon carboy with space to spare. I plan to convert it to a Kegerator in the future. It has a primary space 14" x 16" by 36" that I think this will hold 3 corny kegs. The space over the compressor will have lots of room for CO2 and a few 5 packs.

Paul

Back