Mash Efficiency/brewhouse Eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished my first all grain batch last week and have been trying to calculate my mash/brewhouse efficiency. The part that is really throwing me off is that I added honey post boil and haven't figured out how to include it into the brewhouse. here is my grain bill and readings:
4 lbs Wheat Malt, 3 lbs Vienna Malt,1.5 lbs Flaked Wheat, 8.0 oz Honey Malt,
17 oz Honey

Pre-boil amount: 5.5 gallons
Pre-boil SG = 1.04 at 108 degrees (which I calculated to be 1.048)

FG= 1.053 at 95 degrees (1.058)
Post-boil amount: 5.5 gal

Thanks in advance!

The honey will add about 7 points to the 5.5gal post-boil. Is that post-boil measured with the honey or without? and what was your pre-boil volume? I'm guessing that's a typo. With the honey for post-boil, I'm getting an 85% brewhouse efficiency. To calculate the mash eff, just take the honey out of the equation with your pre-boil vol.

Taking a gravity reading before the addition of the honey, and then leaving the honey out of the equation would be the easiest answer for next time.

I want to calculate this for you, but I am forced to question why your pre and post boil volumes are the same.

I want to calculate this for you, but I am forced to question why your pre and post boil volumes are the same.

I was wondering this too. I don't think 17oz of honey would return the amount of boil off that should have occurred. Did you have a good boil?

Pre and post boil volumes were 5.5 gal, I added a little bit of water to boil(and honey after the boil) and I was able to leave the lid on during the boil without it boiling over. (have since learned that I shouldn't do that) anyway this minimized loss of volume during boil and measured out to 5.5 gal. Post boil SG was after honey was added.

Back