Bid ole' ooops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
I made a strawberry ale about 5 days ago and noticed a big ooops... I forgot to include the 3.3 pounds of hopped liquid extract... I know, bonehead mistake but wanted to know how to recover this... Do I need to boil it with some water for awhile and add it into the primary fermenter???? I still have some airlock activity...

You could probably add it straight, but it being so thick, I'd worry about it mixing. Probably not a bad idea to boil it in a little water first, a couple quarts. You don't need to boil it long, just enough to get it desolved and sanitized

I have a little over 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy... I do have some head room... I figured if I mix it in I have the ablitity to keep it on the cold side to keep the actual fermentation slow...

I'd recommend mixing it with a quart of boiling water, adjusting the temperature to match the fermenter's and adding it. Since this is a fruit ale and the extract is pre-hopped, you don't want to increase the bittering.

Back