Ferm chamber with HPWH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I've been looking at heat pump water heaters and it got me to thinking...

This thing works by taking heat from the air and putting it into your water, so it pumps out cool air. Supposed to save you money over a regular water heater. Might you be able to harness the cold air output for a fermentation chamber?

Not only are you not paying for cooling for your chamber, but you're paying less to heat your water!

The only question would be how to regulate the temp of the chamber. I was thinking about a thermostat controlled fan that would add warmer air to the chamber when it gets too cold or something like that.

I don't think you would be able to seal the chamber since the back pressure might interfere with the heat pump, but a few small holes on the top of the chamber should let the pressure out and keep the cold in.

Any thoughts?

I have no idea what the temp is, but they sell a flexible duct to run from the air output from the heat pump to connect it to your central air to supplement your AC. I'd like to find someone who has one of these and find out what the temp is and how much it varies. So long as it's below 60-65F, it could work.

I have no idea what the temp is, but they sell a flexible duct to run from the air output from the heat pump to connect it to your central air to supplement your AC. I'd like to find someone who has one of these and find out what the temp is and how much it varies. So long as it's below 60-65F, it could work.

if that's the case then I dont see why it wouldn't work for a fermentation chamber

if that's the case then I dont see why it wouldn't work for a fermentation chamber

Hope so. It almost seems too good to be true. Don't pay for cooling your chamber, get cheaper hot water and the gov't pays 30% of the cost of it. :D

Back