When to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman73

Reaction score
Hi, This has probably been asked but as in a noob i dont have a clue.
Im using carbonation drops in my first brew, do i add the drop to the bottle, then the beer, or the beer, then the drop?
Any help appreciated, Cheers.

I've never used them, so apologies for the speculation; but I'd guess that if it isn't beer, it goes in first. That's my guess, anyway. Beer goes in last.

Drops first then the beer.

Or maybe it doesn't matter. But definitely the instructions say drops firts.

I would agree. Never used drops but seems that I would drop in the bottles and then add the fermented wort. I would be worried that if you added the drops to the bottling bucket you may end up with some inconsistencies . Let us know how it works !

I would agree. Never used drops but seems that I would drop in the bottles and then add the fermented wort. I would be worried that if you added the drops to the bottling bucket you may end up with some inconsistencies . Let us know how it works !

Will do, thanks for the help :)

Hi Guys,

I have a question for your related somewhat to the topic.
I am brewing a Lager (been a month now) and is sitting in the barrel for second fermentation for a bit longer than 3 weeks, yesterday I decided to bottle one sample put it on fridge and give it a try on same day.

This it the outcome: Color is getting clear and blonder, it is flat and not carbonated though, on taste perspective it is beer but it still taste like "mixed" with water or when you drinki something that has been left open for couple of hours.

My question is: it is just because longer time (how long?) is needed to the brew in the barrel to get the CO2 activated?

Thanks for your reply!

The beer in that barrel may not hold carbonation as the barrel is emptied. So bottling from that wiuld be iffy,depending on how much is left in it at the time you filled the bottle. It works better if you prime & bottle right away.

Thanks for your reply,

It could be this but I wouldn`t be so sure as the valve is sealed tightly....

When I used Cooper's carb drops,I put the right amount in each bottle (2 for Cooper's PET,1 for 12oz) For as many as I think I can fill,then bottle away. No barrels,none of that. I bulk prime now with a bottling bucket.

Back