Leaking keg or CO2 being absorbed into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eabbott88

Reaction score
Question, If you take a full keg of beer and hit it with 30 lbs. of CO2 and then disconnect it for a few days the CO2 will be absorbed into the beer but should the pressure in the keg drop or will the pressure stay at 30?

I’ve been fighting a leaking keg and thought I had it fixed after replacing a post but now I’m not too sure.

The pressure will drop a ways and then seams to hold steady so that makes sense. Thank you!!!

More specifically, the head space is typically about 1/10th the volume of the whole keg. If you put 30psi into the head space and quickly disconnect, in about a day the equilized pressure in both the headspace and beer with be about 3 PSI. If you look at the charts, you'll quickly see why you can't practically do a single application of gas to reach say 2.5 volumes. A chart pressure of 13 psi would require a single burst of 130psi which is where your keg's pressure limit sits.

Back