Opinions on next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshy87

Reaction score
For my third batch I think I'm going to do six gallons. I'm going to do five gallons and one gallon with blackberries. After the 5 gallon finishes I'm going to do 5 one gallons batches all different. Here's what I'm thinking:

1gal w/blackberries, just to compare the difference between fruit in primary vs secondary
1gal jalapeño lime
1gal pineapple coconut (I would like to use pineapple juice instead of water so maybe I'll do 4gallons and two one gallons)

Suggestions on the other two?

Do far I've used an organic bread yeast on a peach mead. It made it bone dry. My second one I used sweet mead yeast turned out good finished at 1.030. I would like to use a yeast that'll make a semi sweet any suggestions?

im kinda in the same boat... but now i only got room for 1 gallon, so im torn..
i want to try:

Vannila and peaches (not seen any1 do both together, so i think it will be my first gollon)
Maple syrup << this is my 2nd fav..
Ginger
toffee/caramlised apple
christmas, (so xmas spices, cinnimon/clove/orange, ginger... etc..)

thous are my top one i wish to try.... but i cant, so do me proud!! :) gd luk

I made an apple cinnamon and it's awesome! I also made a peach that is bone dry, Im not a big fan of dry meads, I don't think it will ever clear. I like the vanilla idea.

I made peach wine once. After letting it age at about 60º for 6 months it still wasnt clear. I bottled it anyway, and now I have sediment in the bottles. Ugh. Peaches are awful.

Pectic enzyme will clear it up relatively quickly.

ForumRunner_20121029_081801.jpg

My wife made this two years ago, it was no boil, jordbær, and honey.
Did not clear after a year, was reluctant to bottle, but we had to because we were moving, but once we settled in, and had a brewing supply store close, I bought some pectic enzyme, and this is a before and after with three day difference.

If you can, you should use pectic enzyme before the ferment. Not only does it sort out the pectins, but it also helps some with flavour and colour extraction too.

Plus, using it prior to the ferment, actually uses less of it, so it's a bit cheaper as well. If the measure it 1tsp in the gallon of must (unfermented), it's usually double that in a fermented batch.

Latest posts

Back