First Broken Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GioGomez2010

Reaction score
I broke the damn thing finally! I knew I would and was super careful but I got careless while drinking homebrew and bottling. I tipped it off my counter and it broke. Luckily it was in the tube and there was no mess haha It lasted 10 batches.

Congrats! I made it over a year on my first, the proceeded to break 3 in a row within 2 weeks. Moving to a new house really seemed to mess my routine up.

I haven't broken my first one yet (Fingers crossed- it's about three years old at this point) but last brew session I melted the tube that protects it in storage. Just a matter of time now.

No joke when my brewing kit arrived awhile back I took my hydrometer out of the box and literally dropped it and broke it! :(

First one I bought was the thermometer/hydrometer combo. Broke it BEFORE my first brew!

Haven't broken one since, it's been 2 years now.

Funny story: one of the first batches me and my wife made together was NOT boiling on the stovetop for some reason, so I ran out to Home Depot to buy a turkey fryer with a big gift certificate I had there. While I was out, she broke BOTH glass thermometers we owned while checking mash temps (double brew day). Incredibly unlucky- this is not an attack on my lovely wife (anybody else find SWMBO a bit degrading?)- she's a better brewer than I am. There MUST be a better material to make thermometers/hydrometeres out of!

What's a Hydrometer???? a joke... So the way you get a new one... I have three I never use... is you get one from some guy at work whos wife bought him a brewing kit for Christmas/Birthday... he "maybe" used it once and now it takes up space in his garage...

Oh and the reason I don't use them? First of all I have been owrking so hard on brewday I forget to take the OG reading so the FG reading is kind worthless... and all three of the DAMN THINGS give different readings.... BUT I am trying to do better...

I break glass thermometers... forunatley never in the beer or wort.... I should buy them by the case...

You've been baptized, lol. I've broken one each already, hydrometer and wine thief. They're such delicate little things, bound to happen sooner or later.

shaneogle89 said:
No joke when my brewing kit arrived awhile back I took my hydrometer out of the box and literally dropped it and broke it! :(

I busted out laughing when I read that! I'm sorry man but I can just picture it in my head...I'm sorry for your loss!

I had a tube with caps on both end for my first hydrometer. I took them both out to clean after my maiden batch, and very carefully slid the hydrometer back in, let it go, and watched seemingly in slow motion as it slid out the other end and smashed on the counter. Pretty bad when the little voice in your head says, "you're an idiot."

Also broke two floating thermometers, and the voice told me to stop buying glass equipment. Tho my new hydrometer has made it thru 9 batches, I only use it for FG. Have a refractor meter for OG now.

GioGomez2010 said:
I busted out laughing when I read that! I'm sorry man but I can just picture it in my head...I'm sorry for your loss!

Ya man it was tragic! Hahaha I probably cussed at myself for a good 10 minutes.

Just broke my first hydrometer on my first brew.

Its brew day had just completed making up the wort. Before adding the yeast I measured the OG. Carefully cleaned the hydrometer and dried it. As I placed it into its plastic container, the weighted end caused the thing to fall a bit faster than normal, next moment pop out comes the bottom stopper and foam and before I could catch it. Smash into million pieces onto the painted concrete floor. Duh.....

Have ordered a replacement, told them my story. Maybe they'll throw in another in sympathy.

well glad not only one who has broken one early on in brewing.

Barry

I broke my hydrometer AND tube while cleaning up after my last brew. I carry two and already replaced my backup.

Nearly broke mine the other day. It rolled of the counter and somehow I managed to catch it in midair before it hit the floor.

Yep, I'm in your club. I dropped mine earlier this week when cleaning it. There's not much bounce in glass on porcelain sinks.

Broke mine this past weekend after a Superbowl brew day. Cleaned it and was putting it back in the tube when i pulled a smooth move. Guess I dropped it in the storage tube too quick, because the bottom fell out of the tube and the hydometer hit the garage floor. Bye, bye hydrometer.

IDK. I've had the same hydrometer and thermometer for 3 years now.. But I have broken 2 glass test tubes by letting the tester hit the bottom of the glass to hard. Back to plastic test tubes.

23.gif
Congrats! I made it over a year on my first, the proceeded to break 3 in a row within 2 weeks. Moving to a new house really seemed to mess my routine up.
29.gif

Used too hot water on first one readings all screwed up, brought new one rolled out of my hand to table then in very slow motion fall to floor. I am ashamed of the language that I used as it was falling and hitting floor. :) Dad was in Navy learned a lot of interesting words..... hopefully number 3 will last a lot longer.

Back