Cheese presses or moulds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Where is a good place to find either presses, moulds or build instructions?

Im going to begin to make my own as soon as I can get back.

I bought my parts an Lowes. I used a 6 inch PVC cap and drilled a ton of drain holes in it. I found this round "thing" that fits inside to press with. I have weights from our home gym to use. I've used it once and it works great.

I was going on the assumption that white PVC is food safe but someone please let me know if that's wrong.

Not an expert- but CPVC is used for plumbing.
PVC has the jury out and some argue it is toxic. Interesting that Sarah wrap and what grocery stores wrap meat and cheese in is PVC.

On the cheese press, I made one buy cutting two 11 X 9 boards (oak). I cut two-inch diam holes holes in the corner of one - the other I made into a little table like structure (used PVC for legs!). Turned the "table" upside down leg-up and the top piece with the holes in the corners fits over the top of it sliding up and down the legs of the "upside-down table". I put the mold in there between the legs and slide the top over the legs, I use regular weight lifting weights on top of it.

The Schmidling cheese press looks like it would be relatively easy to use as a basic design for a homemade press. I don't really know how you're going to gauge how much equivalent weight you're using, but it's a start.

There are basic pressure gauges you can attach (spring?)...I like my simple design though. I like things simple.

I just got a real nice mold from Leeners. Very simple but quite functional. Visit: www.leeners.com for more information. Fairly inexpensive as well. :)

Back