Looking for a good deer camp wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi74

Reaction score
If anyone is from the u.p, they will understand this story. One day, as all my family has done for years, we all drove to Trenery,Mi for a good time at deer camp. Right in the second day drunk our neighbor came over to share some of his homemade good time. He pulled out a huge box o'wine and said par take of all that is good...he had onion wine, crabapple wine, cucumber wine, cherry wine, and in the mist of my drunken stupor, he had a Green Pepper Wine that was sooooo mind melting good

My favorite wines go to hunting camp to share with the guys in the evening. Some fellows aren't regular wine drinkers so I take a few fruit wines that are lighter or sweeter, and a few heavier tannic reds for those who appreciate red wine. When elk, deer or bear steaks are on the campfire, the deep meaty reds come out. That's when you can open the eyes of the beer guys.

Everybody say's Hummer's wines are awesome. I think they just want me to bring wine again next year.

I'll never forget when about ten years ago some hunters from Michigan brought a homemade blackberry wine for the outfitter I worked for. Too bad the outfitter didn't drink. ;) That blackberry wine was goood!

Your good luck that the outfitter didn't want any. I can't wait to try fruit wine with venison a few years down the road!!!!

Looking for a good deer camp wine ... If anyone is from the u.p, they will understand this story. One day, as all my family has done for years, we all drove to Trenery,Mi for a good time at deer camp. Right in the second day drunk our neighbor came over to share some of his homemade good time. He pulled out a huge box o'wine ...

Trenary, eh?Mmmm. Now I want to make some Trenary toast!

Don't have a recipe for deer camp wine, but maybe something better.
A perfect recipe for deer camp ... beer made with deer beets.
Stay with me here ...

From a recipe from a crofter in Britain for Manglewurzel Ale ... a manglewurzel is an ancient cousin of the beet. It was common as human food in the 1700's but is mostly used as fodder now to feed livestock.

Good for the Halloween season as well ... long ago Mangles were the original jack-o-lantern ... called “punkies” (the green thing next to it in the pic is the punkie's top or cap)
30-10-2.jpg

Mangles weren’t available to me but a couple sacks of deer beets from the local gas station worked great ... and cheap! One thing though, they are a bugger to clean.

So while I’ve not used real mangles for this “ale”, with regular deer beets it came out very tasty. . In my recipe I used Sterling hops and added some coriander too ... Kent was the hops fr the original recipe.

That crofter ... aka “Stonehead” quotes his swmbo, saying ...
“The Other Half described it as having a pleasant and refreshing earthy taste with a hint of banana and butter, while being nicely bitter. It’s strong, about 6.5% ABV, but not overwhelmingly so. The Other Half said it was very refreshing and went well with her curry. A good result, then.”

Here’s his page ...
manglewurzel Ale
http://stoneheadcroft.com/2007/12/30/brewing-mangel-ale/

If any of the HBT brewers give this a try I’d very much like to read an improved recipe!

His end result ...
images

Back