Strawberry wine yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
Out of these three, which yeast would you use for strawberry wine.

Montachet
71B-1122
EC-1118

Recipe from Jack Keller,

3 1/2 lbs fresh chopped strawberries
1/4 lb. chopped golden raisins
1/4 lb. chopped dates
2-1/2 lbs. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
1 crushed Campden tablet
Champagne yeast and nutrient
Place chopped fruit in nylon jelly bag, tied. Place jelly bag and all other ingredients except Campden tablet, pectic enzyme and yeast in crock and cover with 5 pints boiling water. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Cover. After two hours add crushed Campden tablet. After additional 10 hours add pectic enzyme and 12 hours later add yeast. Cover and stir daily. On 7th day remove jelly bag and hang over bowl to collect juice. Allow to drain thoroughly without squeezing (about two hours). Pour all liquids into secondary fermentation vessel, top up to one gallon, fit fermentation trap, and set aside. Rack every 30 days. After 3rd racking, bottle when clear. Allow to age at least 1 year

I've used Montrachet with success. I've never tried the two Lalvins with Strawberry but the only way to find out is to test them. The EC-1118 yeast would push the ABV the highest out of the three I think. So it all depends on what you are looking for in your finished wine.

Pulled from Jack Kellers website:
Montrachet : Perhaps the most popular yeast used. It is available for both red and white wine fermentations and may be called Montrachet Red and Montrachet White. It works especially well in producing Chardonnay in barrel and stainless steel. It also tolerates sulfur dioxide well, but does not work well with high sugar levels (more than 23.5 Brix). It is this ineffectiveness in high sugar levels that is most likely responsible for many stuck fermentations. Temperature range is 59-86°, low flocculation, and alcohol is pretty reliable at 13%.

And pulled from fermentationtrap.com:
NARBONNE 71B-1122 Alcohol tolerance up to 14%. Isolated and selected by the National Agricultural Research Institute in Narbonne, France. 71B is particularly known for its use in fermenting fruity blush and semi-sweet whites. Long-lived aromas are due to its production of esters and higher alcohols. 71B also softens high acid musts by partially metabolizing malic acid. The 71B is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for blush and residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters and higher alcohols, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates. 5 grams for 5 to 6 gallons of wine.

I would personally go with one of those for the strawberry wine. I've heard good things about both, they both finish up around 13-14%, and depending on your original gravity, it could leave a little residual sweetness which I think would bring the flavor out a little more.

Either of the first two of your choices should work well but my choice of the three would be the 71B as from my experience it tends to do best at retaining flavor with fruit.... Would not go with the EC-1118 as it tends to strip the most flavor and strawberry tends to be one of the lighter flavored wine choices.....

So its the 71b then. Thank all of you for helping me with this decision.

Back