Alabama (non)Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richkev

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any Alabama homebrewers regulars on this forum? Of course, considering the current laws, I realize none of us are actually presently "brewing"... ahem. Anyway, I know there is a homebrew club in Mobile. How about on the eastern shore?

Really there is a brew club there?

I have seen some members on here from Alabama. Is it that bad over there? I mean I have heard of one home brewer that got caught and they made a spectacle of him. They put his photo on the news and there is a thread on this website about it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alabama-homebrewer-arrested-194144/

How many brewers do you know out there?

Sorry I am from Texas.

Sadly, I haven't yet taken the time to find any local brewers. I am originally from Louisiana, but I have also lived in TX and Idaho. I was surprised to learn that AL still considered homebrewing a felony. It's not like they are running around arresting homebrewers, though. I think most folks just keep it to themselves. I know there are a couple of LHBS's (Birmingham & Mobile), but it isn't illegal to sell grains, hops, kettles, etc. Mobile has a homebrew club that meets regularly, I believe, but that is a 45 minute drive. Just wondering if anyone on the eastern shore kept up with the hobby (we are east of Mobile Bay). It's really too bad. I think the local politicians don't recognize the potential benefits of a motivated beer culture with neighborhood brewpubs and restaurants. Craft beer isn't the type of thing folks generally swill in great quantities and get stupid. There is enough of that readily available, anyway. My experience has been that homebrewers and others that appreciate craft beer are a bit more mature. But, I have a feeling that the reality of the current laws run more to taxes than moral convictions, anyway. I guess I will get motivated soon and run over to Mobile and check out their homebrewclub.

Google is your friend.

Auburn Brew Club
PO Box 2826
Auburn, AL 36831 USA
866-420-4498
[email protected]
Auburn Brew Club | Cheers

Birmingham Brewmasters
8916A Parkway East
Birmingham, AL 35206 USA
205 833-1716
[email protected]
Birmingham Brewmasters

Malty Orgasmics Of Lower Alabama (MOOLA)
8466 Cottonwood Rd
Dothan, AL 36301 USA
334-794-0016
[email protected]
www.biohazard.veriqikdsl.com

Huntsville Alabama Homebrewers Association
9007 Shereton Rd
Huntsville, AL 35802 USA
256 880-8523
[email protected]
HAHA-Beers : HAHA-Beers

Rocket City Brewers
7807 Charlotte Dr
Huntsville, AL 35802 USA
256-882-7618
[email protected]
rocketcitybrewers.org

L A Lagers
303 Levert Street
Mobile, AL 36607 USA
251-478-2873
[email protected]
www.lalagers.com

Wiregrass Brewers Club
335 Idlewood Farm Rd
Ozark, AL 36360-9419 USA
334 237-8529

I'm in Spanish Fort.

The only brew club in the area that I know of is the L.A. Lagers in Mobile. They meet once a month at Hopjacks in Mobile.

I am in the Shoals area and would like to see a club get started here... the Huntsville area clubs are a little to far away (90 minute drive) for regular attendance.

Anyone in the Shoals area, or nearby, please PM!

I am in the Shoals area and would like to see a club get started here... the Huntsville area clubs are a little to far away (90 minute drive) for regular attendance.

I know what you mean about the drive. That's why I was wondering about the eastern shore. I am familiar with the HomeBrew clubs that Revvy listed. Just way too far to drive, on a regular basis.

CGVT <-- Have you ever made the trek over to Mobile for the LA Lagers meeting? I might try it out some time. I'm just too busy to drive that far too often. Maybe someone in the Spanish Fort/Daphne/Fairhope area will get motivated to start up a club...

Not sure how I missed your post, but...

I haven't been to an LA meeting. It seems that I'm always busy when they meet. I joined their yahoo group, but got booted out somehow and haven't bothered to figure out why.

I see that a brewery and tap room is going to open soon in Fairhope. Maybe we can get some of the Eastern Shore brewers to get together there once a month or so.

http://www.fairhopebrewing.com/

I'm from Alabama and like most here from AL, I didn't buy a starter kit from NB this last April and I did not start brewing later that month. I also haven't brewed one each of Cream Ale, American Rye Ale, AK47 Ale or Wheat Ale.

So I have no idea about beer brewing here in Madison. I am a member of the local brew club (RCB) and have been to one meeting. There, we only drank excellent factory-made commercial beers like Bud Light, Natural, Old Milwaukee etc. and not one drop of home brew passed our lips. :rolleyes:

CGVT said:
Not sure how I missed your post, but...

I see that a brewery and tap room is going to open soon in Fairhope. Maybe we can get some of the Eastern Shore brewers to get together there once a month or so.

http://www.fairhopebrewing.com/

Very interesting. I've been wondering how long it would be before someone would step up and start a brewery around here. I think they should do really well. If they get it going, we should definitely get some eastern shore homebrewers together.

I've been following the thread about legalizing homebrew in AL, pretty closely. I saw an interesting article, just the other day, about the craft breweries in CO. Apparently, they have brought over 5400 jobs into the state over the last decade. Some of our legislators need to get their heads out of their rectums.

Back