Wyeast 2252. What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Wyeast website said:
Wyeast 2252-PC Rasenmäher Lager Yeast
Beer Styles: Light American Lager, Munich Helles, Vienna Lager, Classic American Pilsner
Profile: This versatile lager strain is an excellent choice for brewing your favorite low alcohol lawnmower beer. Fermentations at low temperatures will produce clean lagers that accentuate the malt character of the beer. At high temperatures this strain maintains much of the lager character, but will also yield a mild ester profile that compliments hop aromas and flavors.

Alc. Tolerance 9% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 73-77%
Temp. Range 48-68°F (9-20°C)

What is wrong with this yeast? Why is it only excellent for my low alcohol beer?

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Marius

The 9% Alc tolerance might be an indicator. And the low flocculation may prove to test your patience.

Otherwise, it looks like a great yeast for lagering a low alcohol beer.

Basically, you are saying that fermenting a big lager with this yeast will take a long time?M

Do you think I can do 5% ABV, or is that going to take me forever? What do you think?M

My brewpartner and I brewed a OG 1.068 steam style beer with it at San Franciso basement temps - which is 62 degrees year round. Fermented fine. FG was 1.016. That a 76.5% attunuation.

A little slow to drop out, but not terrible. Took about 1 week longer to clear than the fermenter with German 1007 in it (same brew - fermented at 66 degrees). Actually dropped quicker than the Denny's Fav 50 that we put in a third fermenter which was watered down to 1.054.

Not bad as a steam beer yeast. Not as clean as Anchor yeast but nice. And it doesn't have that tart finish characteristic of Anchor Steam yeast.

A bit of woody esters initially but finishes very clean. Malt finish really comes through. The woody esters actually combines nicely with the load of Saphire finishing hops we used.

Liked it enought to order another before Wyeast stops selling in at the end of the month.

Back