Is my brew ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveNay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

About two and a half weeks ago I cooked up a batch of Scottish Ale from a kit from my local HBS. Unfortunately, I got sick and it has been sitting in a glass carboy on the yeast since then! I will not be able to get to it until this weekend to either transfer it to a secondary carboy or to bottle it.

I sure hope the yeast hasn't gone funky and ruined my batch.

I do not recall the strain of yeast that was in the kit. :(

Thanks,
Dave

There are a lot of folks here who swear by leaving it in the primary for about a month to let the yeast clean up after themselves. Your beer isn't ruined and in fact will probably turn out just fine if not improved by the longer rest on the yeast.

Hi Guys,

About two and a half weeks ago I cooked up a batch of Scottish Ale from a kit from my local HBS. Unfortunately, I got sick and it has been sitting in a glass carboy on the yeast since then! I will not be able to get to it until this weekend to either transfer it to a secondary carboy or to bottle it.

I sure hope the yeast hasn't gone funky and ruined my batch.

I do not recall the strain of yeast that was in the kit. :(

Thanks,
Dave

It most likely has gone bad. Please PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship it to me. I'll do my best to properly destroy it. You don't want it to touch your lips and you can't pour it down the drain with all the new laws against it......:drunk:

It most likely has gone bad. Please PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship it to me. I'll do my best to properly destroy it. You don't want it to touch your lips and you can't pour it down the drain with all the new laws against it......:drunk:

Haha...you funny! :mug:

It's a funky yeast in the first place. I have a carboy full of 70 shilling, it's been sitting for months, It's going to be fine. Now, If were talking years then we can worring.

Thanks again guys! I finally got around to checking the FG of my batch and it is 1.009. It tastes good (a little rough still) and is definitely not bad in any way. :tank:

I forgot to check the SG so I don't know the ABV, but that doesn't really matter to me.

Tomorrow or Friday it will go into bottles for nine weeks until I enter it into an informal beer & ribs contest.

Back