Can A Keezer Double as a Fermentation Chamber???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
I see these builds that have insulation panels in a box form on the inside of a keezer. Does that raise the temp inside that box form so you can ferment at one temp then the rest of the keezer is at serving temp?

I've been thinking about this as well. I haven't come up with a decent solution yet, but I'm thinking about isolating one section with insulation and using the parts from my Son of Fermentation chamber to keep two separate temps.

If I get around to it, I'll send an update.

I've been thinking about this as well. I haven't come up with a decent solution yet, but I'm thinking about isolating one section with insulation and using the parts from my Son of Fermentation chamber to keep two separate temps.

If I get around to it, I'll send an update.

i guess to test it i could just make a lil box out of some insulation and set a glass of water with a thermometer in it in the freezer and see if it doesnt freeze.

From what I understand, the cooling coils are in the walls of the freezer. So, I guess if you had a framed in box, on all sides you could have a different temp, but I would bet its not very efficient. Unless you had serious space limitations (studio apt), I would just get a second freezer off craigslist.

what about making the box out of the insulation and adding a light bulb on say a two stage controller. you could have serving temp controlled by one (which would be the "main" control) and the box regulated by the second stage ummmm...... guess that wouldn't work but a second controller would do the trick to keep the insulated box at a higher than serving temp temp. lol, you know what i'm saying.

no matter how much insulation you put, given enough time the temperature inside the fermentation box would equalize with that of the keezer. it needs a separate control for modulating its temperature.

the light bulb is one way to do it. but then you essentially have a heater INSIDE your keezer. it'll work but you have two opposing devices fighting each other and consuming electricity.

another option is to have an external fermentation chamber connected with a fan and a duct. the fan is used to send cold air to the fermentation box as needed. this is essentially how a freezer/refrigerator combo works.

Like this:

DSCF3146.JPG

I can get down to the mid-upper 50's with the fan running continuously, but I have a lot of duct and a really small fan. Put the box next to the fridge on shorter duct and you should be able to lager.

mlg5039 said:
I just drink 50* beer while I ferment lagers. I prefer it sometimes.

That's what my kegerator is at anyways. My fridge is old and dying I think I might try a lager next.

Here is what I've done to mine:
fermkeg.jpg

I put 2" foam with a computer fan and a fermwrap on a two stage with a single stage running the freezer. Tested at ale and lager temps with water. I'll be testing a batch this week to see if the it can hold an active fermentation at temp.

I put 2" foam with a computer fan and a fermwrap on a two stage with a single stage running the freezer. Tested at ale and lager temps with water. I'll be testing a batch this week to see if the it can hold an active fermentation at temp.

are you heating the fermentation side with something?

I have a fridge, but it is very efficient for me. I took computer fans and connected them to a temperature controller ($30 aquarium controller) and drilled a hole in the side of the freezer and made an insulated bridge connecting the "duct" to an insulated box. Works great!

Back