Think I went overboard- Too much hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galttfwo

Reaction score
In an attempt to do an impromptu brew day with a friend, we grabbed every available pale ale/IPA type hop out of the fridge and went to town.

Think this may be overboard, or great?

5 Gallon Batch

Maris Otter 9 pounds
Munich (Light) 1 pound
Crystal 10L 1 pound

Mashed at 151
1.51 OG

Cascade 1 ounce first wort hop

Centennial hops 0.5 ounces 20 minutes
Cascade hops 1 ounce 20 minutes

Citra hops 0.5 ounces 2 minutes
Cascade hops 0.5 ounces 2 minutes
Citra hops 0.5 ounces 0 minutes
Cascade hops 0.5 ounces 0 minutes

Dry Hop with ~.75 cascade/.75 citra/.5 centennial (what was left of each packet

Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

btw, the cellar with fermentor smells amazing.

Like it says in the shaggy dog story: That ain't so hoppy. If it it tastes like grapefruit juice, wait an extra week.

Thanks for the response!

I have been brewing for a few years now, but mostly British styles and a few stouts. This is my first attempt at a hop forward beer, so nice to see I didn't go off the mark.

No such thing as too much hops!

Regardless, the more hops you throw in, the lower your hop extract efficiency, so even if you mathematically have a 5,000 IBU beer, I think you reach a theoretical limit of around 120 IBU.

No such thing as too much hops!

Regardless, the more hops you throw in, the lower your hop extract efficiency, so even if you mathematically have a 5,000 IBU beer, I think you reach a theoretical limit of around 120 IBU.

Bitterness and hop flavor/aroma are not the same thing, although they both come from hops. No more than cheese and ice cream are the same, because they are both made of milk.

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much hops. As a hop head I really liked stone ruination IPA which is 100+ IBU

Bitterness and hop flavor/aroma are not the same thing, although they both come from hops. No more than cheese and ice cream are the same, because they are both made of milk.

True, but my point was that you reach a theoretical limit of bitterness/hoppiness. Where you add those in the boil determines the balance.

Like others have said/not said, not by any means "too much hops." Possibly too much crystal for an IPA, but probably going to be a great beer.

I'm slightly drunk, but we really have the upper hand over the commercial brewers. We can do ANYTHING we want!

Back